The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

always losing things in OF! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Once you have captured everything, are you working out of contexts?
It depends. Generally speaking, yes. You pick your next action from a list of available tasks in a context view. Depending on how much material you have in OF and your context implementation, you may need custom perspectives to refine your context views to a manageable list of tasks to choose from. For some of us, this is where the Estimated Time field can be invaluable - if you create the perspectives to leverage it that is.

However, if you need to concentrate on finishing a project, you may want to select the project; and hit the Focus button so you are not distracted by anything else.

I found that I would lose things a lot in OF until I setup some Perspectives that would show me what I want when I want it.

For example, I have a perspective setup to show me planning view. When I see planning view, I want to see everything that's not complete: remaining projects. This prevents things from getting lost whenever I look in planning view. I have my special planning view perspective in the toolbar so I click that instead of clicking on the planning view button.

To select what I want to work on, I have a perspective setup to show me context view with only available tasks and to show them grouped as projects. That way I'm looking at Projects, not tasks. Tasks are unimportant; projects are what's important. I use cmd+click to select all available contexts, then I select a project to work on. After I've decided on a project to work on, I double-click it to open it in a new window in planning view. This shows shows it with all available actions. This way when I complete a task, I can continue with the project until I don't have any more tasks that I can do right then. Being in this view also lets me confirm that I do have a next action setup to be worked on in a different context.

These trusted perspectives have really made OF happen for me. Without them, I would have given up on OF a long time ago.