The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Other WebDAV
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

cPanel (A2hosting etc.) & WebDAV (Web Disk) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Having troubles getting my OFX (Mac, that is) db synched to my Web Disk (WebDAV).

I set up my Web Disk as "/public_html/omnifocus/" I added "omnifocus" so my db would be in it's own folder. Downloaded and ran the script; mounts fine.

Then in OFX, anything with 2078 or https failed, so I tried http://mydomain.com:2077/omnifocus/ . Got: "Could not access the WebDAV location "mydomain.com/omnifocus/OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-hHWAG6_MhnZ".

Tried: http://mydomain.com:2077/ and OFX claims success, and I do see that /public_html/omnifocus/OmniFocus.ofocus is created, but it is empty (except the default projects), as then becomes my OFX database .

On a side note, it seems that when I defined my Web Disk at /public_html/omnifocus, and then access it via the user I created for Web Disk access, that I must use http://mydomain.com:2077/ without "/omnifocus/", but that ".../omnifocus/" is internally stored and known.
--

OFX: "Your database couldn't be synchronized, because the database on the server appears to be totally unrelated to the local database. Which database would you like to use?

The other database will be saved in your database backup folder."

"Use Local Copy"

My data is now available.

OSX: click: "Sync Now". Immediate claim of success, but once again, the OF default database is apparently synched to my Web Disk (~4k as seen in my Web Disk location), however my local db is not reset (still have all my data).

Important: I just checked files in the Finder (after adding one dummy action, to force a current 'modified' timestamp on my db), and I see "Omnifocus.ofocus" with the current modified date/time, but it is only 232k, whereas my db ("Omnifocus.ofocus-backup") prior to 1.1 upgrade was 38.3MB. But the database "Omnifocus.ofocus" when open has all my data. Very puzzling.

(I also sent this to the ninjas.)

Currently at build ...794. (Error 404 not happening now, but the 'real' db still doesn't seem to be on my WebDAV (Web Disk) disk.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2008-07-14 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Deleted mention of db loc in OFX Prefs (normal in 1.1)

I can mount in the Finder just fine.

The issue with what I thought was a tiny (~200+k) OF file not being my data turned out to be a red herring. (I say "tiny" because the backup file in 1.0.3 was 38+MB!).

I think the issue revolves around this:

After creating a Web Disk in cPanel with a folder off the web root, e.g., "/public_html/omnibob/", the OF file gets synched there from OFX -- as long as I don't include "/omnibob/" in OFX Prefs > Sync, otherwise, I got (Note: "/public_html/omnifocus/" was a subfolder used an earlier attempt.):

"Could not access the WebDAV location "www.mydomain.com/omnifocus/OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-hHWAG6_MhnZ". Please make sure that the location set in your Sync preferences actually exists." [OK]

But if the location in Web Disk actually is there (not using "/omnibbob/" in OFX), then when I send the settings to iOF via Bonour or email, I get an error message:

"Unable to read document. Unrecognizable transaction file name: "<longString>.zip" should contain a date separator of "="."

I would really like to know how to create a directory off public_html to store the OF db (for web tidiness), but for now, I am seeing my synced info (finally) on my iPhone. I've yet to check the integrity, but at least I'll be able to sleep finally after 3 days of wrestling with this. (OK, I've not literally been up for three days, but it sounds like a good story.)

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2008-07-14 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Dotting my i's, crossing my t's

My strong advice is to wait for the v1.0.1 update to the iPhone version of OmniFocus before trying to use it with cPanel web servers. Hopefully that will be out this week, but until then the iPhone doesn't have all the fixes we made in the desktop version over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAleGuy View Post
NOW the issue is about every 60 seconds, I get an error dialog that tells me:
"Unable to perform WebDAV operation.

The server returned an error 404, "not found"."

I guess I'll send another message to the support ninjas. :)

Peace
I've been getting that too (well the error box is suppressed but its still happening :p). OF 1.1 SP (v77.5.0.102885) but its been occurring all along for me. The feedback ID is: [OG #307681].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
My strong advice is to wait for the v1.0.1 update to the iPhone version of OmniFocus before trying to use it with cPanel web servers. Hopefully that will be out this week, but until then the iPhone doesn't have all the fixes we made in the desktop version over the weekend.
I'll wait before testing it out on my iPod Touch, but this bug doesn't seem to be iPhone dependent.

Desktop syncing is still broken with cPanel WebDAV servers as of 1.1 sneakypeek v77.5.0.102895, or at least with mine running on bluehost.com. If I clear out the database file from the server and sync, the initial sync works fine. If I sync with nothing changed in the database, that works fine as well. But as soon as I change anything in the database and sync, I get the same old "404" error and the sync fails.

It looks like the WebDAV server is changing the file names (as mentioned somewhere in these forums), replacing "-", "+" and "=" characters with their encoded equivalents (%3B, etc.). If this is the source of the problems, why not just avoid using these characters in the filenames in the database?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
This is desktop syncing using the Mac client, not syncing from the iPhone app.

Thanks for your patience, this latest issue is fixed in build 102926:

Quote:
Fixed the latest cPanel compatibility issue: when we were cleaning up redundant transactions after coalescing, we were attempting to remove the transaction based on its name rather than its remote URL.

It now appears to be behaving itself.

EDIT: I should add, I use AsmallOrange hosting.

Last edited by Eraserhead; 2008-07-16 at 03:53 AM..

Still not working for me. I posted my issue at http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8587. I haven't received a response to my problem there but it appears to be related to the one in this thread, I believe?

It's still the same problem with the "Unrecognizable transaction file name 'blah-blah.zip'; should contain a date seperator of '='" error message, although the 404 problem has now been remedied.

I'm using build 102926.

I just replied in the other thread, but it sounds like you're still trying to sync with version 1.0 of the iPhone software, which doesn't yet have the fix. (We can post new versions of the desktop software immediately, but iPhone software has to be reviewed by Apple.)