The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wish: Delegation workflow Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Great job on developing and presenting this workflow. I hope that version 2 of OF has better team support.

Steve

Ok I know I've posted this quite a bit but I figure why not make it a poll since I think it's something we need when applying GTD in a collaborative environment.

Last edited by policarpo; 2010-08-01 at 10:40 AM..

How about the choice: Meh, not important to me.

I don't have an opinion on the GTD-ness of automatically sharing tasks and projects, but I personally have no interest in additional sharing features in OF. I don't work or live in an environment where that would be useful and would prefer OG direct resources toward other things (more feature parity between OF versions, OmniOutliner for iPad).

I'm not discounting that some (maybe many) people would find more sharing useful, but I think the single 'no sharing' response in the poll confounds the issue with GTD dogma, making the poll biased.

Curt

Hrmmm isn't option 2 the same thing as your Meh persuasion? ;^)

I wanted to ask the Forum how you folks are utilizing OmniFocus when it comes to delegation of tasks to others? I've tried a few different options (including Curt Clifton's script that adds "Reply On:" to the task and switches it to the waiting context) and am still looking for a good compromise that works well with OF and sticks to GTD methodology. The problem with Curt's script is that many of these tasks were assigned to specific Agenda:Person contexts that were then lost when I switched them to "waiting".

So, after I have a meeting and discuss the topic with the individual, I simply flag it for follow-up meaning that I've spoken to them and am awaiting a response.

Something tells me thought some folks out there have come up with some excellent work-flows to handle this type of scenario with OmniFocus. Thanks in advance.

-Scott

I try to keep it really simple: a question for a person or a task assigned to a person gets assigned to their context.

When meeting with a person, I check their context and cover those topics, recording new stuff or checking items off as needed. Start dates are used to defer actions I don't want to worry about; I don't find a waiting context helpful. If an item I deferred hasn't come back, that gets caught during review and an email gets sent.

It's basic, it's simple, but it gets the job done for me.

I am slowly being driven nuts by delegating tasks to other people on my team. We all have OmniFocus but we cannot send tasks to one another on any platform. This is ridiculous. Surely a small addition to a task would be to e-mail it to someone else - especially is (as we have found) we have someone leaving us and we need to get their tasks taken over across the rest of the team.

I agree. OmniFocus needs more attention to the delegation. I suggest to make also a state: "Delegated"

Me three.

I'd settle short term for the ability to email actions directly out of the iPhone version like I can from the iPad version. I can also do he same from my Mac but had to write an AppleScript to do it.

I don't understand why this is so low on the features priority list. It's essential for anyone in a management role or leadership position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
We all have OmniFocus but we cannot send tasks to one another on any platform
I tend to export tasks to email (in TaskPaper text format).

An email recipient can import them from TaskPaper text format to OmniFocus.

Those two scripts could both be adapted a little for specific workflows.

There is also built-in TaskPaper export (with some minor bugs in conformity to the standard) from the OmniFocus main menu. File > Export > Plain Text (TaskPaper)

--