The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HowTo: Dependency on % Completion instead of date or actual complete? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi All,

Apologies if this has been answered already elsewhere. Is there a way to set a task dependency (or, more appropriately, constraint) whereby a task cannot start until a preceding task reaches X% completion?

Essentially I have a situation where I have task2 dependent upon task1 (theoretically), however work may actually commence on task2 provided that task1 has reached a minimum of 75% completion. Needless to say, task 2 cannot end prior to task1 completion, of course.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Leland

Nothing built-in, but you could split task1 into task1a and task1b, with a F->S dependency from task1a to task2 (and one to task1b) and a F->F dependency from task1b to task2. Tasks 1a and 1b would be 75% and 25% of the length of the original task1.

hm... I had considered that, but it's ugly (visually)... but I guess it's a suitable work-around for now.

Something to add to the wishlist, perhaps?

Leland

Use Help->Send Feedback to make a feature request.

lelandv and I discussed this on twitter earlier but you can set a -25% lead time in the "Task : Dependencies" inspector.

Yup.. thanks.. I confirm it works! (Also confirmed on Twitter by @OmniPlan as well)

Wasn't sure if there would be some inadvertent [unwanted] workflow implications, but seems okay.

Thanks a lot!

Leland

Done in by the manual once again...only the online help glossary reveals the percentage trick. Good to know, although I bet absolute lead times are far more commonly used.