The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Self-deleting repeating tasks? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm not sure if this issue has been discussed before, and I didn't know what search terms to use to turn it up. (The couple I tried got me nowhere.)

Is there any provision for self-deleting repeating tasks? That is, tasks that I want to have rescheduled after I check them off, but which I don't want cluttering up my 'Done' list (or archive). For example, taking meds in the morning and evening; I want it to show up on my list on the off chance I forget, but tomorrow I'm not going to need to go back and see if I took them today. Same goes for something like taking the trash out Thursday night; it's helpful for it to show up on my list of things to do at Home after 5:00 pm, but it's not a project I'll need to refer back to later, because three weeks from now I won't care if I did it this week. (But I'll sure care this weekend if I didn't!)

If someone could direct me to a thread where this has been hashed out, that would be great. If no one's brought this up before... well, surely someone has. Or am I the only one with this need?

Thanks,
Dave

I recall a thread on this sometime in the murky depths of 2007. I think the result of the discussion matched your proposal, so probably not much value in digging for the thread. However, you can use Help --> Send Feedback to add your vote to the feature request in Omni's bug tracker.

Curt

A suggestion:

put a unique string in the comment field for your repeating projects or actions that you are unlikely to use elsewhere. Now, set up a window that searches for completed projects (if that's where your repeating actions are) or completed actions (if only actions repeat, not projects) with that string and save it as a perspective. Pull up that perspective once a <insert appropriate interval here> and delete the old ones. At least that way you can use OF's filtering abilities to get rid of the chaff.