The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Strange grouping/bounding box and magnets Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've just started using OmniGraffle and so far, things are going well. However, I've encountered two problems that I don't understand.

I am currently building up a stencil library. I need everything to be on a fixed grid, so snap-to-grid is always on. My major grid is 1cm with 10 divisions (ie. minor grid is 1mm) The alignment guides are off.

First, I'm having trouble attaching magnets to on-grid points. Sometimes, it works. Other times, it's snapping to one of the (supposedly off) guides. I have the most trouble with triangles. I've included a picture. I can't get a magnet to the point shown in the picture. I have been able to hand place it, but never accurately. Notice that one of the "okay" magnet points is actually off-grid.

The second thing I've encountered is a strange behavior when things are grouped. I've drawn and grouped the same figure, once "upward" and once "downward" (See attached). Notice that the blue bounding box in the upward file does not land on the grid, while the one for the downward one does. After grouping the downward one, I can rotate/flip it to look just like the other, except that now, the bounding box is correct. Since I need everything on-grid, I ended using the downward file.... but what is going on here?

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magnet.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	991   Click image for larger version

Name:	up.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	992   Click image for larger version

Name:	down.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	993  

This is a known issue concerning grouped lines, the bounding box can often get "off" of where they're supposed to be. I've added the link to this thread in the bug we have filed on it, thanks for the feedback.

Thanks Joel! Is this something that will be addressed in the next release? If not, is there a work around when I encounter this?

Kevin

There's currently no workaround that I'm aware of, other than to ungroup, position, group again. You can click a second time to subselect a line and move it in the 5.2 beta releases, which may be easier.