The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Global" search Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
No. Because it's a totally different UI for search.
Exactly. Why not do the same with OmniFocus?
Quote:
Right. So you have "Where in OF" and One Click Search and, what, 17 other toolbar buttons for things that are scripted? Do you even have room for the traditional search^H^H^H^H^H^Hfilter dialog box there? :-)
27" iMac FTW :-)

The search/ filter in the Mac app is one of the more frustrating aspects of OmniFocus. Rob's WhereInOF works of course but that you should need to install Applescript to conduct a global search is odd. There have been may occasions when I've been tried to 'find' and item only to realise that I've got a filter set up 'incorrectly' in a perspective.

In most of my perspectives I hide the toolbar partly because it removes clutter but also because, in many occasions the search box is useless to me. A disclosure triangle to allow Global Search/ Search this Perspective is all that's needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finlay Boo View Post
Rob's WhereInOF works of course but that you should need to install Applescript to conduct a global search is odd.
You don't need to install the script, you can do a global search by switching to the All Items perspective, then searching. If you want to say that a script makes it more convenient to do a global search, you'd find no argument here — why would anyone use a script if it didn't make the task more convenient?
Quote:
In most of my perspectives I hide the toolbar partly because it removes clutter but also because, in many occasions the search box is useless to me. A disclosure triangle to allow Global Search/ Search this Perspective is all that's needed.
What if you aren't in a perspective, but an ad-hoc view? I think Search this window is a more general choice.

How are you going to manipulate that disclosure triangle if you've always got the toolbar hidden, though? :-)

FWIW, making search more understandable and predictable is one of the things we want to work on going forward. I don't have specifics re: how we'll address this, but we do regard this sort of confusion as something we should address. :-)

I don't have specifics re: how we'll address this, but we do regard this sort of confusion as something we should address. :-)

Thank You!