The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus with Evernote Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Another thought on using Evernote. Although I use it for the majority of thoughts, I certainly don't use it on my most important ideas. That's tucked away in another application that has no syncing capability.

Couple more thoughts...
while it may seem from my posts that I am anti-Google or Evernote... I'm not. Thank God for Google... compared to the other search engines. Can you imagine a world where there was no search engine that was streamlined, user friendly and free?

Google has been instrumental in bringing the world onto the internet. Extremely non intrusive and community building.

I would rather trust Google with all the search data than any other search engine out there.

I absolutely love google for all the things that it's doing.

However, there is the concern about what it can do. Any company who rises to the top will have this responsibility.

I love using Evernote... it's just not everything I want it to be. Especially with the concerns about it being on a server.

If Mac were the top dog right now, I would be one of the fishes, swimming with it.

Software giants are huge whales swimming in the ocean, with third party rhemora's attaching themselves and users schooling along.

As for the tyranny of the masses... sometimes the masses group together and overthrow the monarchs.

Comparing putting data on Google servers or Mac servers, I don't trust either for OmniFocus. In the past, I used Mobile Me to sync OmniFocus up to Mac, but it's all unencrypted on iDisk for anyone at Apple to peruse, or anyone who can get into my iDisk. So I stopped syncing to Mobile Me. That was the primary reason for me purchasing a Mobile Me account.

Apple vs Google? I'd put them at the same place as far as trusting certain types of information.

Google vs any other free email account? Google wins hands down. I probably wouldn't even use a free email account if Google didn't offer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjander View Post
You can do a Spotlight search for the note, then drag the note from finder into OF. One step too many, but it works!
Actually, it doesn't. Not for very long anyway – I guess you might have noticed that by now?

This workaround relies on a temporary cache and does not work across machines. On the same mac the links seem to work for a while, but after a few months or so they don't work anymore. For me, anyway.

The way I do this now, is I add a note in OF, something like "EN: Title of note", so I remember I have something stored in EN relating to this or that OF item. I then use my search-EN-hotkey if I need to look at it. Not as good as a link of course, but not all that bad, either.

It's sad that EN is progressing so slowly on giving us proper linking capabilities, but hey, what can we do? I don't see any other app out there that rivals Evernote right now.

Let me cast another vote (plea) for OmniFocus integration with Evernote

Sorry to bump this old thread but I think the posibility for OF to integrate with the Evernote API is immense!

Have a look at what Nozbe + Evernote are doing:

http://www.nozbe.com/gtd/blog/post-1...fect_gtd_setup

Essentially in this system, Evernote simply replaces the "note" function of Nozbe, while Nozbe takes care of GTD in a much more intuitive way than the GTD "hacks" for Evernote. I think it would be great if Omni could implement this kind of functionality.

A technical question for programmers out there, would it be possible to interface with the Evernote API and implement this kind of functionality with an AppleScript? I'm planning to purchase OF this summer after my exams are finished and this would be a perfect side-project to test out my new system!

I'm just starting to use Evernote, and I agree, integration with OmniFocus, maybe similar to the integration set up with Nozbe + Evernote's API like Xeijin mentioned would be PERFECT. I use OmniFocus for Actionable Tasks, and Evernote for Reference Material/File Cabinet (ala GTD). Having a way for the two to interface so I could attach Evernote "Notes" or "Notebooks" to projects so I could just click links to go back and forth between the two would make my day.

P.S. - Supposed to be a HUGE announcement today re: Evernote - waiting to see what that is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeijin View Post
Sorry to bump this old thread but I think the posibility for OF to integrate with the Evernote API is immense!

Have a look at what Nozbe + Evernote are doing:

http://www.nozbe.com/gtd/blog/post-1...fect_gtd_setup

Essentially in this system, Evernote simply replaces the "note" function of Nozbe, while Nozbe takes care of GTD in a much more intuitive way than the GTD "hacks" for Evernote. I think it would be great if Omni could implement this kind of functionality.
I agree. While I like the idea of using OO with OF (and will try that), EN is much more ubiquitous than OO (at least for now), as I can access EN on any of the platforms I use (iPhone, Mac, Ubuntu, Web). The ability to have access to project related documents anywhere I go would be a huge added bonus as far as I am concerned.

Evernote has recently improved their APIs ...

http://www.evernote.com/about/developer/api/

... and has set up a service for surfacing database integration of third party apps to users ...

http://www.evernote.com/about/trunk/

... so good Evernote / Omnifocus integration should be much more possible now.

Personally, I'm in the process of trying to migrate EVERYTHING into OmniFocus and Evernote, so strong integration between the two would be an enormous boon to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Korman View Post
Personally, I'm in the process of trying to migrate EVERYTHING into OmniFocus and Evernote, so strong integration between the two would be an enormous boon to me.
I'm actually doing the same thing. I love Evernote and OmniFocus. They would be a great match. Especially if it could be done not only on the Mac but carried through to the iPad.