The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Better Find Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I asked for something this to Apple a few years ago regarding Safari, but it also applies to OmniWeb...

For years, Find has marked its matches by highlighting the text it finds. This was great in 1980 with black and white screens, where highlighting meant inverting. It was even decent in 1990, where multi-color text on a white background was the norm, and the highlighting meant changing the background color. But in today's era of ransom note-like text, where it's quite possible that the web page's background consists of many background colors (including, quite possibly, the highlight color) it just isn't enough to grab the eye.

So please implement a way of showing find matches that grabs the eye. What I suggested to Apple was a bit of animation like the old AppleGuide coach marks, and maybe even dimming the rest of the page.

I have found that setting a custom highlight color works well.

Thanks for the tip -- that helps a lot. The default blue is stupidly common on the web.

But tell me this isn't 1000x better (thanks, OmniDazzle):

Quick now -- what was I searching for, and where is it? Pretty easy to spot, isn't it?

(Although I think the dark stuff is probably too dark. Not sure if that can be adjusted with OmniDazzle. Still, made a good proof of concept screenshot.)

Last edited by sdfisher; 2007-03-29 at 11:39 AM..

You'll undoubtedly be ecstatic with Safari 3.0 in 10.5 then, as this is precisely how it is going to work (other than the purple outline). I don't know if that is a part of the interface that OmniWeb can inherit through WebKit but, if it isn't, I hope it is something that is inherited through the OS itself as it does make finding things much, much easier.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2111

Oh, wow. Ecstatic is right. Thanks for the link! :)

(Edit: I didn't really care about the exact appearance. That just came about from using OmniDazzle.)

Last edited by sdfisher; 2007-03-29 at 12:43 PM..