The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

help with filtering Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
while i'm loving using OF in general, as i've amassed more and more information in it i'm having trouble trying to filter it in meaningful ways. i'm not sure if i'm missing something in terms of the way i've structured my data or if i'm missing an obvious feature, but would love some help in how folks are sorting their data,

problem 1: when i try and filter based on whether a task is flagged, i get a list of every project even if only one or two of dozens of projects has a flagged item in it. this does not appear to "focus" very well, and i find my self digging just to see what i've flagged to take on that day. is there a way to narrow this down so that i'm only seeing the projects that contain flagged items?

problem 2: folders appear to lose their utility to organize things into larger groups if one can not see the folder name as part of the project-name when sorting the lists in different ways (the only real view i seem to be able to use is the folder view) since the others lose their context (not gtd context but literally what meta project they are associated with) when viewed any other way. how are people using folders? maybe i should just stop using them for everything but the Personal / Work level of grouping. as it stands i have 3 levels of folders before one gets to a project :

work (as folder)->jobs (as folder)->jobname (as folder) ->job tasks (list of projects)

so any time i try and list things in any view other than folder view i end up with a whole bunch of projects which are hard to tell what job they actually belong to. maybe i just need to flaten my higherarchy, but i would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions.

thanks
stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shampden View Post
problem 1: when i try and filter based on whether a task is flagged, i get a list of every project even if only one or two of dozens of projects has a flagged item in it. this does not appear to "focus" very well, and i find my self digging just to see what i've flagged to take on that day. is there a way to narrow this down so that i'm only seeing the projects that contain flagged items?
Try viewing the flagged items in context view with no grouping.

If you want to see the entire project name in context view, check "Display Hierarchical Name in Outline" in the Preferences, and don't check "Collapse Row Text When Not Editing" in the View Menu. Given the length of your folder path, you might want to make your project column (in context view) wider, which you can do at the command line in the terminal or in a plist editor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhm2006 View Post
Try viewing the flagged items in context view with no grouping.

If you want to see the entire project name in context view, check "Display Hierarchical Name in Outline" in the Preferences, and don't check "Collapse Row Text When Not Editing" in the View Menu. Given the length of your folder path, you might want to make your project column (in context view) wider, which you can do at the command line in the terminal or in a plist editor.
thanks for the reply, that helps - using contexts that is, i'm sure lots of gtd folks will roll their eyes, but i've been just using the planning mode to both plan and look for the next task the context mode feels stilted when i know i need to be working on a specific project ...

however with that said it appears that the filters don't work as i would expect them to in either the planning or context views though. in both i still get all sorts of other unflagged items showing up even when i have the right most flagged filter selected in the view bar....any thoughts? is this just unfinished or am i seeing a bug specific to my setup?

thanks for the help!
-stefan

ok just figured some of that out. there is a big difference between having nothing selected in the context view outline and having a specific context selected. if you have a bunch of things which you did not assign a context they all show up even if the flag filter is set to flagged only. i assume this is incorrect functionality, can anyone else reproduce this?

-stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shampden View Post
ok just figured some of that out. there is a big difference between having nothing selected in the context view outline and having a specific context selected. if you have a bunch of things which you did not assign a context they all show up even if the flag filter is set to flagged only. i assume this is incorrect functionality, can anyone else reproduce this?

-stefan
This is intended behavior, according to support. It's supposed to remind you to assign a context. (I find it annoying.) However, if you select the "Contexts" folder in the Context mode sidebar, you won't see them anymore.

In response to your previous post: If you know you want to work on one or a few projects and not see everything else, switch to Planning mode, select those projects in the sidebar (you can use command-click to select discontiguous projects), and then click Focus. OmniFocus will now focus on those projects, and when you switch back to Context mode, it will display only actions from those projects.

To see everything, click Show All (which is what the Focus button becomes once you've focused). Focus and Show All are also available from the View menu or keystroke control-command-F.