The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

No sync between desktop and iPhone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
My OmniFoci no longer sync. Everything was going fine until the update on the 22nd. Now the two don't sync--the sync balls spin and no errors come up but the data is different on both. Nothing else has changed and .mac seems to be working fine on other stuff.

Any thoughts?

Try running the CoalesceDatabase script (details here). If you go through those steps and still have problems, please email urgent@omnigroup.com

If I read the instructions correctly, it appears that the end game will be to overwrite the iPhone version (which is more up to date) with the computer version (which is less up to date). Is that correct?

Yes, that process will overwrite the iPhone version, since there's no way to run the script on the iPhone.

To use what's on the iPhone, you have to get it to sync somehow. It's possible that if you remove the OmniFocus data that's on MobileMe now. (Just move it to a new folder or something) that then the iPhone will be able to sync to MobileMe once without timing out, since it would just be pushing its own data and not trying to compare with existing data. Then copy that data down to your Mac and follow the instructions with the script.

Similar problems here since the last sneekypeek.
Currently running 1.1 v77.10.0.104457.
The iDisk sync conflict box is trying to tell me that the OmniFocus.ofocus on the Computer is much older than the one on MobileMe. To be honest the file sizes of both files on the conflict resolver box are suspiciously small. However, the only OmniFocus.ofocus I have on the computer is the one in the iDisc documents folder. And OmniFocus "seems" to be using as its database a file from the OmniFocus backups folder with a filename which includes the date. Is this correct? Should there be an OmniFocus.focus file in the documents folder as well?

I have tried re-syncing from the OmniFocus preferences panel. I have tried manually copying the ofocus file to my documents folder and my iDisk.
I have also tried running the CoalesceDatabase script. I still get the same conflict.

On a positive note... the data shown in my OmniFocus desktop appears to be current. Any suggestions on how to resolve the conflicts?
stax

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax View Post
Similar problems here since the last sneekypeek.
Currently running 1.1 v77.10.0.104457.
The iDisk sync conflict box is trying to tell me that the OmniFocus.ofocus on the Computer is much older than the one on MobileMe. To be honest the file sizes of both files on the conflict resolver box are suspiciously small. However, the only OmniFocus.ofocus I have on the computer is the one in the iDisc documents folder. And OmniFocus "seems" to be using as its database a file from the OmniFocus backups folder with a filename which includes the date. Is this correct? Should there be an OmniFocus.focus file in the documents folder as well?

I have tried re-syncing from the OmniFocus preferences panel. I have tried manually copying the ofocus file to my documents folder and my iDisk.
I have also tried running the CoalesceDatabase script. I still get the same conflict.

On a positive note... the data shown in my OmniFocus desktop appears to be current. Any suggestions on how to resolve the conflicts?
stax
Ouch -- it sounds like you're engaging in a number of dangerous practices here!

First, do you really need to have your iDisk synced with MobileMe? That's what is causing you to get the sync conflict box. It is a little unclear from your message whether you are having actual OmniFocus sync problems or not.

Second, the OmniFocus.ofocus file on the iDisk and the OmniFocus.ofocus file in your Documents folder are not interchangeable; only the iDisk one has .client files written to keep track of who is syncing and what the latest data they have is. Your local database should be stored in Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus in your home directory.

If you insist on having iDisk syncing enabled, I believe Ken is on record as saying you should always choose the MobileMe version in case of a sync conflict, as OmniFocus (both phone and desktop) always writes directly to the server, bypassing the copy on your disk.

Aah!
Yes, I agree... syncing iDisk and MobileMe is crazy. It's not by choice.
The conflict resolver "has found" two copied of OmniFocus.ofocus both (it claims) in the Documents folder.
One is labeled "This Computer" by the conflict resolver where the file happens to be in my iDisk documents folder. The date of this file is 12 July 2008.

The other is labeled "MobileMe" has OmniFocus.ofocus also in the documents folder. The date of this file is 29 August 2008.

Is it possible that OmniFocus used iDisk to store its database up to 12 July?
(It is odd that the little spotlight icon in the conflict resolver window takes me to the iDisk version of the file but the date on the file is not 12 July).

Anyway, I have selected the MobileMe version to try to resolve the never ending conflict.
Thanks
stax

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax View Post
Aah!
Yes, I agree... syncing iDisk and MobileMe is crazy. It's not by choice.
The conflict resolver "has found" two copied of OmniFocus.ofocus both (it claims) in the Documents folder.
One is labeled "This Computer" by the conflict resolver where the file happens to be in my iDisk documents folder. The date of this file is 12 July 2008.
Well, the shared file is stored in the Documents folder of the iDisk volume, so that's undoubtedly why it is saying that both are in the Documents folder.
Quote:
The other is labeled "MobileMe" has OmniFocus.ofocus also in the documents folder. The date of this file is 29 August 2008.

Is it possible that OmniFocus used iDisk to store its database up to 12 July?
(It is odd that the little spotlight icon in the conflict resolver window takes me to the iDisk version of the file but the date on the file is not 12 July).

Anyway, I have selected the MobileMe version to try to resolve the never ending conflict.
Thanks
stax
Yeah, the dates can't be trusted, it seems. You've got a disk image of your iDisk on your Mac that holds a local copy of your iDisk files so you can access them even when you aren't connected to the internet. Periodically, a background process connects to the MobileMe servers and compares the files on the disk image with the ones on the server, and attempts to synchronize the changes. Something causes it to get confused with the OmniFocus.ofocus file (which is actually a collection of files, not a single file) and it throws up its hands and asks you which version to keep -- the one that was on the MobileMe server, or the one in the disk image. The sync code in OmniFocus always operates on the copy on the MobileMe server (unless you do something perverse like tell it to do Disk syncing and choose that particular file), so that's the one you want to keep.