The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backing up omnifocus.ofocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I see that the file omnifocus.ofocus is accessible via iTunes> Devices> devicename> Apps.

Is this backed up by the standard iTunes backup when synching, or should the file be uploaded to the parent Mac? If it is backed up by iTunes, is there any benefit in a separate backup?

Regards,

Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_cavanagh View Post
I see that the file omnifocus.ofocus is accessible via iTunes> Devices> devicename> Apps.

Is this backed up by the standard iTunes backup when synching, or should the file be uploaded to the parent Mac? If it is backed up by iTunes, is there any benefit in a separate backup?

Regards,

Roger
I to would like to have an answer to this question.

I can say that in my experiance all apps are backed up with an itunes backup but i have been exporting ominfocus.ofocus in case it is a backup.

Sure hope that it is.

I would feel more comfortable with a seperat backup i can manage.

Please someone from the team provide a response.

gat app by the way! Worth $40!

Syncing your iPad to iTunes should make a backup of all the data on the iPad. However, I've read lots of complaints about iTunes' restore feature not restoring user data.

If you're syncing OF to a server (see OF iPad gear menu, sync settings), then that serves as a backup. If not, then I'd recommend copying the ofocus file from the App tab in iTunes occasionally. That will give you a backup that iTunes won't mess with. (Still, it would probably be better to get an account on the Omni sync server and set up automatic syncing of OF to the cloud.)

Curt

Thanks for the reply

Thanks to all above for the tips. I went to iTunes> Devices> devicename> Apps, but from there how can I access the omnifocus.ofocus file that you guys are talking about? Left click, right click, I don't see a way to access a file with that name. (I'm using a PC to tether the iPad to, if that has anything to do with what I can or cannot see.)

Last edited by goboashi; 2010-09-17 at 11:07 AM..

Click on the iPad in the sources column. Then click on the Apps tab, and scroll to the bottom of the window. You'll see another list of Apps, namely those whose files you can sync, including OmniFocus. Select OmniFocus, then select OmniFocus.ofocus in the right hand pane, then click Save to... button at lower right to choose your destination. Doesn't even have to be done on the machine you normally use to sync the iPad, either.

Once you've downloaded the file, you can extract attachments even without a copy of OmniFocus for the PC (fortunate, as none exists!) by drilling down into the OmniFocus.ofocus directory.

Thanks, whpalmer4. Worked great.