The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

script? to make iCal event Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This morning I got a call and one of my Actions became a fixed event in iCal when someone volunteered to help me. I'd like a way to work in OF where I could check off the task so it's off my GTD list of Next and Available Actions and simultaneously convert it to an iCal Event. I'd have to add date, time, and iCal calendar to this item in the process.

I support the idea. Over time, some actions get fixed in time. Usually, I need to put these actions as events in the calendar view of iCal to visually control my daily schedule.

At the same time, the actions should remain in OF so that I could check them off when they get accomplished. Currently I have to create events in iCal manually switching from one application to the other. Seems to be not very efficient.

So I feel that it would be a really time saving feature to create events for the actions in OF right in OF. Besides, it could be a good way to keep both applications working consistently together.

Word. That would be really great.

aside –
I can't belive how responsive Omni is to this forum and how well the are keeping up with (or planning for 1.5/2.0) these feature requests. Thanks Omni. You are my new favorite software company.

While I can see how this might be useful, I think it's a need that can already be addressed using Quicksilver to create a new iCal event. They aren't always formatted prettily, but it'll put the event in whichever calendar you want at the specified date and time without changing the application focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLady
While I can see how this might be useful, I think it's a need that can already be addressed using Quicksilver to create a new iCal event. They aren't always formatted prettily, but it'll put the event in whichever calendar you want at the specified date and time without changing the application focus.
Ah, I'm a LaunchBar user from way way back but do have QS around (seems like a lot of typing when I tried it before). How do you set the date and time? I've got the event to be created, but only at "now".

Well, I live on the keyboard - using the mouse just takes too long (almost as long as it takes for me to properly phrase a post...)

To add an event via QS, I just type the event into the text box (dinner with inlaws on June 15 at 5pm) tab over and type event for "Create iCal Event" and then type the name of the calendar the event belongs to, and hit enter. Takes 15 seconds, and creates an event with the name of whatever I typed into the text box of QS.

Downside - I've just realized that the iCal module doesn't recognize times like 6:30, it will round it up to 7. This annoys me.

My biggest problem with the concept of sending an OF task to iCal as an event is that it's not how I see the workflow developing. Say I have a task to schedule a meeting. So I go, and schedule it, and maybe it takes a while, maybe it doesn't. But the total information about that meeting isn't on my computer - it's in my head - and I need to get it out of my head before I forget. It's ... counterintuitive to go to my computer, put a task for that meeting in OF's inbox and then send THAT task to iCal. In fact, I couldn't even go into OF to check the 'Schedule a meeting' task off with a good conscience until it was already on my calendar.

Please don't get me wrong, I do think the ability to add an event to iCal from another application is really useful. I just think that it's a functionality that should belong to iCal and not be cluttering up OF.

I think what I needed was the "." which allows me to start editing the Task as copied into QS so I can add the date (although I have to play with the cursor position first).

Mine was a case where a solo task, with no particular date or time in mind, turned into a concrete meeting on the calendar. There may be times where a Task, maybe in an Agenda project, to make a meeting at some time in the future or after Waiting for... a particular call back can then be scheduled. Like you, I'd rather not touch the trackpad/mouse to interface with iCal. And of course, scheduling a meeting should be done right away if the circumstances allow.

OO has a script to send list items to the iCal ToDo list and, as with Kinkless, I would hope to be able to put the script on the OF toolbar. The advantage of having a separate script is that I could invoke it using LaunchBar (no mousing, and minimal typing). For example, with the new OF<->Mail scripts available on these forums, while reading Mail I just type command-space-aof and there it is in the Inbox.

Maybe I should just learn Applescript. ;-)

Last edited by pjb; 2007-06-13 at 02:11 PM..