The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniGraffle for iPad is $49.95? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I still wonder how the 2.0 update will be handled as the App store doesn't support paid updates. I really want to get Omnigraffle and I think it is reasonably priced. In fact, I would buy it instantly despite the fact that I won't be able to get my iPad before end of June. But somehow the thought that an update might cost the same or more again makes my stomache ache a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnz View Post
I still wonder how the 2.0 update will be handled as the App store doesn't support paid updates. I really want to get Omnigraffle and I think it is reasonably priced. In fact, I would buy it instantly despite the fact that I won't be able to get my iPad before end of June. But somehow the thought that an update might cost the same or more again makes my stomache ache a little.
I'm not so worried about updates, there is a lot to fix on this version. Once that happens, I'll pay whatever. OG on the iPad works better than on the screen.

Well, its a pity that no support ninja answers. Anyway, I trust that they'll find a fair solution for this. In fact, I couldn't resist and have pre-shopped Omnigraffle for my iPad that I still don't have. Now, if I just could get my hands on a 3G iPad, but it is impossible to get one right now in Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnz View Post
Well, its a pity that no support ninja answers.
I'm sorry we didn't respond earlier - it's a tough question to answer. Ultimately, I think the only answer we can give you is "we don't know yet".

We really hope Apple improves support for this sort of discounting in the App Store going forward, but we don't know when or if that will happen. In the short term, there are a few more products we have to get out on iPad before we can think about the 2.0 updates...

I also agree. I bought two hours ago.
I like omni product. However, I think that this is expensive.

It is because a necessary function is insufficient.
1. There is no outline function.
 However, only the diagram operates why.
2. When the omni product is bought in Japan, it is always high.
 It sells it for $66 in Japan now.
3. It crashes by a specific operation.
 It is seen frequently in a new product of omni.
4. It makes a mistake in the layered structure because of two or more copy&paste.
5. Mac and the file swapping are troublesome.
 The transmission from mac to ipad is done with dropbox.
 However, the opposite direction can use only mailing.

I am using a lot of omni products.
I am enduring it though the charge is a little high.
Therefore, the version must improve early.
I want to come to think it is cheap early.

Hey cybercatfish,

By "It crashes by a specific operation," are you referring to your no.4? If not, what is the "specific operation," and have you reported it directly by email to Omni support? I've always found them extremely responsive to direct contact, and they've been prompt to correct any fatal bugs, in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercatfish View Post
I also agree. I bought two hours ago.
I like omni product. However, I think that this is expensive.

It is because a necessary function is insufficient.
1. There is no outline function.
 However, only the diagram operates why.
2. When the omni product is bought in Japan, it is always high.
 It sells it for $66 in Japan now.
3. It crashes by a specific operation.
4. It makes a mistake in the layered structure because of two or more copy&paste.
5. Mac and the file swapping are troublesome.
 The transmission from mac to ipad is done with dropbox.
 However, the opposite direction can use only mailing.

I am using a lot of omni products.
I am enduring it though the charge is a little high.
Therefore, the version must improve early.
I want to come to think it is cheap early.

mmmhhh... interesting, I've read this thread through from start to finish, and realised that I'm no longer part of Omni's target market!

I'm fond of the Omni Group and have been a loyal user who holds boxed copies of OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle v.1. I believe that without innovative developers such as Omni the Apple Mac platform would probably not have survived the hinterland years.

I purchased the OmniGraffle for iPad App and have used it a couple of times. It should have been my primary mind-mapping tool, until another App (which cost just a few bucks) came along and blew it away.

OK, OG does a whole lot more than mind-mapping, but so what? I do 99% of any 'professional' diagrams in Microsoft Powerpoint. Why? Because I can send them to clients, colleagues, etc. who can open and edit them, whether they are using either a Mac or a PC.

The other 1%, which need to look truly classy? I do them in Adobe Illustrator, again because it's cross-platform.

I gather OmniOutliner is slated to appear on iDevices. It will need to have serious benefits over another outlining App I've already purchased before I'll put my hand in my wallet again, especially if it's going to be another of Omni's premium-priced offerings.

Oh, and the same goes for OmniFocus. I found a low-priced App (in comparison) that better handles my everyday personal to-do lists, and which more importantly Gets Things Done. In the past week that App has saved me around a couple of hundred dollars, solely because of its share feature.

Can it do fundi-GTD? No! So, do I actually care? No! Not for lists itemising shopping, errands, etc. I'm also now in the process of moving my business GTD to another App, and therefore OmniFocus looks set to be relegated to my third choice out of three.

In the past few days I've emailed two App providers who responded promptly and in detail to my feature requests. I was asking for downloading and Document Interchange from one, who replied he was in the process of incorporating the first into his next release and would add the second into the release after that (admittedly no time schedule, although in the past this App has been updated on an almost monthly basis). The second developer, where I asked to vote on a web interface and an Android port, replied that both would be available within four weeks.

Member's of this Board have been requesting that OmniFocus support tags, contacts, etc. since 2007.

In addition, Mr. Job's statement that developers should "price competitively, go for volume" has created that reality in the App Store, so that Apps over $10 are going to be the exception and that anything above will now, going forward, be perceived as overpriced, if not a complete rip-off, unless they offer compelling features.

The game has changed!

OK, Ken, you asked what might keep users like me within the fold? No, it's not a single, personal must-have feature request. I would respectfully suggest it's an OmniGroup format, as outlined by Marcus Sommer in the Omni Lounge.

If I could interchange the same data between 'Graffle, 'Focus, 'Outliner, 'GraphSketcher across my Mac and iDevices that would be compelling enough for me to stay loyal and feel that your programs at their current price-point were value-for-money, otherwise I'm sorry, but I believe that the product offerings from Omni are rapidly turning into a rather expensive Parade Gone By.... :eek:

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-08-12 at 04:02 AM..