The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Entering dependencies and succesors Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm evaluating Omniplan and for OSX it feels right, though I have not been able to figure out how to enter dependencies or successors via the keyboard quickly based upon wbs number....

Whilst having to drag and drop seems a nice idea it is an absolute nightmare on a large 500+ plan....What is the alternative to dragging and dropping via the gantt chart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejongj
I'm evaluating Omniplan and for OSX it feels right, though I have not been able to figure out how to enter dependencies or successors via the keyboard quickly based upon wbs number....

Whilst having to drag and drop seems a nice idea it is an absolute nightmare on a large 500+ plan....What is the alternative to dragging and dropping via the gantt chart?
To add a dependent task, press CMD+Shift+}. To add a successor, press CMD+Shift+{. Is this what you were looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwong
To add a dependent task, press CMD+Shift+}. To add a successor, press CMD+Shift+{. Is this what you were looking for?
No not quite. Whilst it is a handy shortcut for adding new tasks it doesn't really do what I want it to do...

Picture the scenario, you've got 500+ activities, overall duration let's say 9 months....My test execution can't start ideally until the Design, Development and Test Scripting are completed. So that is three predessors immediately. Dragging and dropping using the Gantt chart is a bit of a pain and requires changing the view such that all can be seen at once....And then another quite realistic scenario, part of the system gets descoped until a later phase, so all of a sudden I don't want the whole of the design phase linked but a multitude of specific use cases etc....Again having to drag and drop via the Gantt chart is very timeconsuming...

It would be easier when the WBS numbering can be entered manually to quickly link those tasks....

If you turn on the dependencies column in the outline view, you can type in outline numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
If you turn on the dependencies column in the outline view, you can type in outline numbers.
That's it! Brilliant! It was a terminology thing, I was expecting predecessor not dependency as technically it doesn't have to be a dependency...But what's in a name....

Now I just want recurring/repeating tasks and I'd be very happy to get rid of bootcamp for MS products :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejongj
That's it! Brilliant! It was a terminology thing, I was expecting predecessor not dependency as technically it doesn't have to be a dependency...But what's in a name....

Now I just want recurring/repeating tasks and I'd be very happy to get rid of bootcamp for MS products :)
Ah, I misunderstood what you were asking for. My fault. ;-)

I have added a vote for the recurring/repeating tasks feature request in our database for you.