The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Clean Up Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thanks Lizard.

I'm working around it for now by creating a context called "done", and dragging actions to that as I complete them instead of checking them off. At least that's instant, and I can check them off later when I review, but it does present other issues such as not working well with recurring actions, not making the next action available (this could be the one that stops me using this workaround), and only working if I've got other contexts selected - if I have them all displayed, nothing changes when I drag of course.

I also tried grouping by completion so completed would at least jump out of the way, but that puts completed actions at the top, so completely the opposite of what I need :(

BTW, OF needs sort ascending and sort descending options - several views I've tried to set up have failed because of that.

I'll try this for a while to see if any of those caveats become real problems.

A proper fix is definitely needed ASAP.

Mark

Last edited by MacBerry; 2008-08-22 at 05:57 AM..
 
OK, a better workaround is to simply delete a task when it's done, because that does at least reveal the next action. However, it doesn't work with recurring actions of course.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBerry View Post
OK, a better workaround is to simply delete a task when it's done, because that does at least reveal the next action. However, it doesn't work with recurring actions of course.
Check it off and then delete it?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBerry View Post
Again, what insider take on my brain do you have that allows you to conclude that I only need to see my view without completed items, rarely?
My comment was a somewhat tongue-in-cheek response to your earlier remark:
"why would it be so difficult to find a completed task and correct the issue, on the rare occasions when you do get it wrong?"
So I'll ask: What insider take on my brain do you have that allows you to conclude that I only need to deal with these sorts of corrections, rarely? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBerry View Post
I wouldn't dream of suggesting that you're wrong and that despite what you say, you don't need to see completed tasks for a while, so please do me the same courtesy.
When I wrote "you", I didn't mean you specifically. I apologize if it came off as a personal attack. Perhaps I should have written, "on the rare occasions when one needs to see their view without them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBerry View Post
With respect Dennis, what right do you have to tell me that the keyboard shortcut is adequate for me?
Again, I wasn't addressing you specifically, Mark, or telling you what is adequate for your personal situation. And I don't think the Omni Group is either.

But the Omni Group must come to some kind of conclusion based on their experience, their best judgement, and a few assumptions about their prospective users. If they didn't, the app's design would be in shambles, it would have millions of features (and probably an equal number of bugs), and it would never ship on time.

We're all looking at this from our own perspective. It's difficult to not make some kind of presumption about the inner working of other people's brains. And, naturally, we tend to think that our view is the most reasonable and anyone who disagrees just needs some convincing. Maybe that's why this discussion has gone on as long as it has (perhaps too long, eh, Lizard? :).

I'm not against this "immediate cleanup" enhancement, as long as it can be controlled with a preference. It seems like we can agree on that.

Mark, you are clearly a thoughtful and passionate user, and I respect that. I hope you'll not take any of my remarks personally and that there's no ill will between us.

Oh, but one last thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBerry View Post
I'm working around it for now by creating a context called "done", and dragging actions to that as I complete them instead of checking them off.
I don't understand how that's any more convenient than Command-K, but I'm glad you've found an acceptable workaround for the time being. :)

-Dennis
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
My comment was a somewhat tongue-in-cheek response to your earlier remark:
"why would it be so difficult to find a completed task and correct the issue, on the rare occasions when you do get it wrong?"
So I'll ask: What insider take on my brain do you have that allows you to conclude that I only need to deal with these sorts of corrections, rarely? :P
Yes you got me on that one - I was assuming you didn't make many mistakes ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
But the Omni Group must come to some kind of conclusion based on their experience, their best judgement, and a few assumptions about their prospective users. If they didn't, the app's design would be in shambles, it would have millions of features (and probably an equal number of bugs), and it would never ship on time.
Yes of course they do, but they also should take account of the wide range of requirements of their potential users, which I rekon is one thing that is NOT reflected by a beta group. In this specific case, that would mean taking account of the fact that (as far as I can find) ALL other task apps remove completed items from the view almost immediately if they've been filtered out, setting an expectation and habit in many users. they also need to apply elegant design so that that flexibility doesn't result in the mess you describe. Unfortunately, in this case ONLY, I think they've failed on both counts, and came to the wrong conclusion and a clunky solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Mark, you are clearly a thoughtful and passionate user, and I respect that. I hope you'll not take any of my remarks personally and that there's no ill will between us.
None at all. In fact to debate (as opposed to argue) is a great way to learn respect for other peoples views IMHO.

I am passionate about UI design (too passionate at times), and I accept that I do get more wound up than most about things when I think they could so easily have been done differently with a little more thought, but I hope it's constructive passion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Oh, but one last thing:

I don't understand how that's any more convenient than Command-K, but I'm glad you've found an acceptable workaround for the time being. :)
Ah well, you have to feel it to understand it! It's all to do with the instantaneous nature of a workflow - the second an additional (to me unnecessary) step is introduced, however simple, it completely destroys my focus. Maybe I'm just more easily distracted than most.

But that workaround proved no good anyway because it doesn't reveal the next action. Just deleting works better, but isn't perfect.

Mark

Last edited by MacBerry; 2008-08-22 at 10:42 AM..
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Check it off and then delete it?
But if I'm going to do that I might as well check it off then cmd-k. What no-one who doesn't feel the same way can understand is that there needs to be absolutely zero interruption to my workflow in order for it to be comfortable and intuitive.

Done in my mind also needs to be done and gone in front of me. Out of sight, out of mind. To keep the momentum going I need to be moving on to the next task almost before I've finished clicking the check box on the last, and cmd-k interupts that.

I've just thought of a way to explain it that might tell you what it feels like to me: It's the same as reading half way through a sentence in a good book, and then:

Wife: "did you put the rubish out?".

Me: "yes I did" (re-starts the sentence).

5 second delay

Wife: "what about the cat?".

Me: "Yes dear" (re-starts the sentence).

5 second delay

Wife: "Yvette says Emily's doing well at school".

Me: "That's good" (re-sta....oh you get the picture).

5 second delay

Wife: "I think we should change these curtains".

"Oh for Pete"s sake, I give up!!!!"

;) ;) ;)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBerry View Post
I'm finding having to click or cmd-k to cleanup an annoyingly unnecessary step.
I'm with you. While waiting for the OmniFolks to implement this important feature, I've set up a macro using QuicKeys. It simply marks an item as Completed, and then does Clean Up. Works fine.

I find QK is really helpful for adjusting workflows on mission-critical software.

HTH.
 
I didn't mean you have no right to be frustrated. I was just trying to help adapt your work-around to be more workable.


PS: I know _exactly_ what you mean about the book thing. (Except my wonderful husband talks about the cat, not the curtains.)
 
MacBerry, they have granted our wish.

Thank you for creating this topic to help fight for something you and I and so many others have wanted. Now we finally have it! It was added to the latest sneaky peek build today and works like a charm.
 
Woohoo!

Now I have to VNC from my iPhone to my laptop in the office, just to give it a try!

Thank you Omni.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clean Up not available sometimes? jasong OmniFocus 1 for Mac 0 2011-07-26 06:04 PM
Clean Up Restrictions? nicholas_j OmniFocus 1 for Mac 14 2009-07-17 02:50 PM
Clean uninstall?... frankmcma OmniFocus 1 for Mac 3 2009-02-12 01:05 PM
Clean Up rmathes OmniFocus 1 for Mac 1 2007-11-21 01:50 PM
What, exactly, does Clean Up do? sprugman OmniFocus 1 for Mac 11 2007-08-23 06:23 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.