The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Organizing Projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Greetings all...

I know several of us are facing these challenges! So for my benefit and that of others, I am curious to hear what best practices are being used to keep active projects front and center.

Most recently, I have been experimenting with flagging the next action of a project I am currently working on to keep it from "disappearing", and available at the click of the flag icon. I have also simply re-organized my project list so that most important projects are at the top of that list.

Both are proving to not be as effective as I hoped and with dealing with a fear which I have of loosing track.

I would love to hear how others are handling this. As well as read articles which address these issues. I am really looking forward to hearing from you.

In community,
Neil

I also use flags to set my next action priorities

For Projects I simply have a couple of sub folders inside my Project folder.

Projects
-- Priority
-- Main

During my weekly review I move projects I want to focus on in the coming week into the Priority folder. This basically does the same as you mention and moves them to the top of the list but having it all in a single folder enables you to focus on just those tasks.

On Friday afternoon, I do an end-of-the-week review. I go to my flagged perspective and unflag any tasks that fell out of favour (not interested in doing it in the next week or I can put it back into the general pool of tasks and not prioritise it higher).

Then I'll go through all of my available tasks and pick just a small handful (anywhere from 5 to 10 tasks or projects) that I want to focus on for the next week.

The trick is to always refresh your flagged items. Unflag tasks/projects that lost importance or momentum and then flag tasks that become more interesting.

But before you even do your flagged tasks, be sure to work on your due tasks first.

This was how I tried to deal with prioritising and de-prioritising tasks. I'd love to hear how others attempt to do it.

Having a perspective with just next actions showing(I don't recall if there's a default perspective like that or not but it'd be easy enough to make) and using it regularly would be simpler than having to flag each next action when it rises to the top of a project.