The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Smart Bookmarks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know this started in 5.1 (maybe 5.0) but it was never really taken to its fullest potential.

Some "smart bookmark" features.

- Bookmarks with no favicons (so I can reload them and get one)

- Bookmarks releated to X person my address book (see tagging)

- Tags or keywords for bookmarks so I can group them or use spotlight to group them. Like bookmarks waiting for me to check.

- Bookmarks with reminders, that remind me every X amount of days to check them.

- Bookmarks not visited in the last X days (months, years)

- Bookmarks that can have a private status (won't show up unless unhidden and won't show up in history, I don't think I need to go into why).

- "Using" another set of bookmarks from Safari/Firefox like Shiira does it (I think this was a feature that maybe was removed).

- Bookmarks that start or end with X (so I could group them)

- Bookmark <-> OmniOutline sync (might be a fun place to look/organize them)

Bookmark management is a huge issue now-a-days and anyone that brings more to the bookmark front wins.

Also, OmniGroup, you should look into buying one of those bookmark syncing tools and bundle it with OmniGroup.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia
- Tags or keywords for bookmarks so I can group them or use spotlight to group them. Like bookmarks waiting for me to check.
I really, really, really would love to see this feature. Ideally, I would like to have no folders in my Personal Bookmarks. Instead, whenever I create a bookmark, I just add it to the root level of personal bookmarks and add a few tags to it that classify it according to whatever system I desire (so as I add tags they get remembered and form into a list that is used to autocomplete as I'm adding them).

Then I would like to be able to create smart collections for the tags that would filter based on rules that I defined and use that along with the already excellent search bar (which, may I say, is amazing and one of the main features that I missed in Safari; not being able to search bookmarks sucks) to find and organize tags. There would probably need to be regular drag-and-drop populated collections as well. Essentially what I would love to see would be an iTunes-derived playlist/library organization scheme based off of tag metadata.

Another possibility for tagging would be to have OmniWeb optionally troll through the pages bookmarked looking for header keyword data to help users tag old bookmarks (with the user ultimately deciding which, if any, of the keywords they wanted to use).

In any case, I think that tags and smart collections would be an incredibly powerful organizational tool for keeping track of bookmarks, and given the growing trend in tag-style metadata-centric organization would probably put OmniWeb significantly ahead of the browser curve when it comes to managing bookmarks.

You can add your own tags to your bookmarks now using the "Notes" field (either when you add the bookmark or by getting info on it - note that there is also a Keyword field when you do a get info). However, smart folders/collections are not possible.

Tagging via notes is an alright interim way to go as far as being able to search for certain phrases goes, but the true power of a tagging system would be smart collections and autocompleting tags (preferably in addition to notes).

I've been using the Keyword field extensively; got addicted to keyword shortcuts in Firefox and Safari/Saft, but it doesn't really help for organizing bookmarks which is what tags would help most with.

Here's hoping it's a feature on Omni's radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George the Flea
Tagging via notes is an alright interim way to go as far as being able to search for certain phrases goes, but the true power of a tagging system would be smart collections and autocompleting tags (preferably in addition to notes).

I've been using the Keyword field extensively; got addicted to keyword shortcuts in Firefox and Safari/Saft, but it doesn't really help for organizing bookmarks which is what tags would help most with.

Here's hoping it's a feature on Omni's radar.
If you want to make sure it is, send in a feature request, using "Send Feedback" from the Help menu. If there's already a request in, your vote will be added to the others.
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiamenese
If you want to make sure it is, send in a feature request, using "Send Feedback" from the Help menu. If there's already a request in, your vote will be added to the others.
Mark
Awesome, good to know. I'll definitely send a feature request their way.