The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to Trash Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I feel a bit stupid asking this, but I can't figure it out, and I cannot find anything in the boards.

When I want to move something to the "Trash" context, it seems I can only do that by dragging and dropping an item there after setting the Context Filter to "All Contexts". I can never enter "Trash" as the context in the context column of an item. When I do that, it will even offer me to create a new context "Trash" (but once I set that to status "dropped", I can again not select it in the context column of an item).

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Ben

When you set the status to Dropped, the UI hides the project, context, or folder from you.

Maybe if you give us a slightly bigger picture of what you are trying to accomplish, one of us can make a suggestion that is more helpful than saying "yup, that's how it is supposed to work" :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
When you set the status to Dropped, the UI hides the project, context, or folder from you.

Maybe if you give us a slightly bigger picture of what you are trying to accomplish, one of us can make a suggestion that is more helpful than saying "yup, that's how it is supposed to work" :)
Right, I was not very precise. So here's the situation:

When I do my weekly reviews, I switch to the "Review" perspective that comes out of the box. This gives me a Project-based view, with "Name" and "Context" as the first two columns in the tasks list.

While I go through these, I sometimes come across thing for which I figure out that I will never do them. So, trying to follow along with David Allen's suggestions, I want to move these to "Trash".

I begin to understand that this is not what dropped contexts are for. They are rather meant for contexts that I will not be in again (like "On Campus" being dropped after graduation, right?).

So it seems I'll have to rephrase my question: is there a common or proposed way to Trash tasks and still keep this act of deliberate removal in the database (i.e. not hit "Del")?

Cheers,
Ben

Perhaps you should be dropping projects rather than contexts ?

(Select one or more projects, and use Inspectors > Project to apply the dropped project icon)

--

So if I'm understanding correctly, you want to drop some fraction of a project, but keep some notes on why you did so? Perhaps there are three ways to accomplish something, and you've decided that two of them are not workable, and you want to document that while clearing the decks to do the third?

What I do in that sort of situation is to simply add a note to the action explaining what I did or didn't do, then mark it completed. You could preface the action name with "Dropped:" or "Did not do:" or whatever to make it easier to search for such actions.

Thanks to both of you. I think dropping projects is not the way to go for me, but I guess the workaround of ticking the task off and adding a note will do :)

I believe that when OF 2 finally emerges (not any time soon, I'm afraid) that the object model will allow one to drop an individual action (or put it on hold).