The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Getting information out Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OmniFocus is my repository for all the calls made, emails replied to and web pages visited when doing a job. Because it serves such an important role as a log of my worklife, it vexes me that it is much harder to quickly get info out of OF than it is to get it in.

- If I want to do a full search of my current OF file, I have to first choose the "All" perspective, otherwise OF only searches the current view. It would be easier to have a "Search All" option in the Find window.

- I like a minimal interface, so my toolbar is "text only". Every search reintroduces the toolbar icons because the Find window is one of them. A separate window would be more democratic.

- OF doesn't handle data mass very well: it bogs down when there's a lot of material in it. I can archive old projects using the "Move Old Data to Archive ..." command - but that adds another layer of complexity when I'm trying to find that call I made to someone, someday.

- For preference, I'd archive single completed projects to Devonthink, in a folder along with all the reference material I used for a job. But there seems to be no way of easily getting single projects out of OF in a readable format. The only option I can find is to print a PDF to Devonthink - but then all completed items show up with strike-outs through them, unless I manually mark them uncompleted again.

In short, if OF is going to command central importance to my workflow, I'd like to be able to instantly search everything I ever entered into it, and quickly archive projects into the file system (or Devonthink's) as they are completed in order to keep the program humming along.

Suggestions on workarounds appreciated.

Have you tried some of the options in File -> export? It appears that selecting some projects will allow just those projects to be exported in various formats.

Lucas - not in a format I want to use as an archive, like txt, rtf or pdf.

However, I (re)discovered Rob Trew's excellent OF<->Devonthink integration scripts, grokked some aspects I didn't grok before, and have at least solved my issue of archiving in DT.

I didn’t anticipate that anyone would prefer to archive in rtf over html, but ok, I’m glad you solved your problem.

Also, keep in mind that taskpaper is a txt format.