The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > Kinkless Getting Things Done
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Utility Drawer open when data file opens Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I never used the utility drawer much until I started using kGTD, which is unusable without it. Soon after, along came OOP v.3.6 which keeps the drawer closed by default.

I don't remember whether the prior versions had the drawer open by default or open if it was open when the file was previously closed. Either of these would be preferable to closed by default, if there's some way to set it in 3.6.

Otherwise I request a UI change for future versions of opening a OO file with the drawer in the same open/closed position that the file had when it was last closed.

I don't remember fully, but I suspect this is a setting that you could change with the New Document Template set-up.

Thanks. I had attempted saving my kGTD file with the drawer open as a template, and then created a new instance from the template. Unfortunately that new file doesn't open with the drawer open. That was why I posted here.

BUT, upon seeing your suggestion, I tried the same thing with an empty file invoked from the default OOP template, and it worked as you expected.

So it seems my problem is caused by something that happened when my kGTD file was created (or updated for kGTD 0.8x, OOP 3.6). So I'll post a bug report in the kGTD forum.

My UI change request stands. I still think I should be able to have the drawer open when I open the file, if I had it open when I last closed the file.

I'm having exactly the same issue.

If I understand the proposed solution, I'd have to recreate my file? Yikes, don't want to go there. I'd be fine with a global "open utility drawer every time option" as well...

In some of outlines the utility drawer is on the left; in others on the right. Can someone tell me how to change the location of the drawer? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linn
In some of outlines the utility drawer is on the left; in others on the right. Can someone tell me how to change the location of the drawer? Thanks.
If you Option-Click on the Utilities button in the toolbar, that will switch the drawer to the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
If you Option-Click on the Utilities button in the toolbar, that will switch the drawer to the other side.
It's long overdue, but no less heartfelt--thanks, Tony!