The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

delays and hangs with browser Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am using a C2D arch with Mac OS 10.5.6.

I am experiencing a delay with OmniWeb that is similar to the delays I have been experiencing on Safari. I notice Camino also hangs in a similar way. Firefox and Opera appear not to be affected by whatever is causing the problem. Does anyone else experience delays with OmniWeb? What might be the problem?

Thanks.
:D

Could you describe these delays and hangs, and the circumstances in which you encounter them?

I've been having the same problem with both browsers in that when I click to quit there's a perceptible delay, the OmniWeb/Safari label in the left corner of the toolbar turns bluer, and then the applications quits after a couple of seconds. This is particularly annoying in OmniWeb as it activates the Crash Catcher which then pops up and asks me to send a report to Omni. I've solved that annoyance by deleting the Crash Catcher from the app, but I have to do it every time I download a new build. I was told by an Omni tech that the problem seemed connected with OS 10.4, but I'm using 10.5 now and the same problem exists. Considering the browsers affected, I'd guess the issue lies within WebKit.

As a followup to my post above I downloaded OW 5.9.2, which is not a WebKit build, and found that the problem I described does not occur with it. I've been using SP's ever since OW went to Web Kit; the OP doesn't say which build he's using. But it now seems even likelier to me that the problem I'm having is in WebKit, not a peculiarity of OW.
I'm still sticking with the SP's; the speed and improved site rendering are too nice to give up.

Hello,

This is my opinion too... That is... If three browsers behave similarly with similar delays, then the issue is not particular to one browser, but particular to all those browsers using a particular API (with a defect, perhaps).

The delays are essentially interminably long delays while waiting for an HTTP transaction (page load) to complete. Can be as short as 30 seconds or as long as 30 minutes.

HTH!

Note that I have been experiencing this for many months... I've done searches and see (from forums) that other Users are participating in wild geese chases.

Cheers,

If it's affecting three different browsers using two different engines, the root of the problem is likely some browser plug-in; are the pages all browsing flash content or something?

(Camino doesn't use WebKit; it's based on the Mozilla engine.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If it's affecting three different browsers using two different engines, the root of the problem is likely some browser plug-in; are the pages all browsing flash content or something?

(Camino doesn't use WebKit; it's based on the Mozilla engine.)
Thanks for the info.
The browsers which hang have trouble loading default home page set to Google's simplest page. I am not sure how to look for all plugins in all browsers. Firefox was easy but I have no problem with that one. Do you recommend I locate and uninstall all Flash, or whatever its called these days.

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by duderonomy View Post
Thanks for the info.
The browsers which hang have trouble loading default home page set to Google's simplest page. I am not sure how to look for all plugins in all browsers. Firefox was easy but I have no problem with that one. Do you recommend I locate and uninstall all Flash, or whatever its called these days.

Thx
Plugins for all browsers are located in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins or ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins. Make sure your Flash plugin is up to date, and maybe try getting rid of anything you don't use. You may want to also check if you have an InputManagers installed for Safari (or any other InputManager or Application Enhancer hacks that might be conflicting with your browsers), as OmniWeb tends to load these as well. I haven't experienced these issues at all on any of the three mentioned browsers, so it seems likely that something external is responsible.

Awesome. Well I waited until after the 10.5.7 update to see if it made a difference. Nada.

Here is the contents of the directories mentioned, thus far:

~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

no items

and

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

AdobePDFViewer.plugin/
Disabled Plug-Ins/
Flash Player.plugin/
Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin/
Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin/
JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/
NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave*
NPSVG3.zip
NPSVG3Carbon
NPSVG3ReadMe.html
Quartz Composer.webplugin/
QuickTime Plugin.plugin/
QuickTime Plugin.webplugin/
Silverlight.plugin/
SpeedDownload Browser Plugin.plugin/
VerifiedDownloadPlugin.plugin/
flashplayer.xpt
iPhotoPhotocast.plugin/
nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt

I am a little suspicious of the plugin "speedDownload" I wonder if that is the source of my problems. Also, wary of anything old, like Shockwave...

Does anyone know if I can empty the contents of the "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins" directory with no ill effects? I'd like to remove everything and add items back one at a time until I see the problem.

Cheers!

Sure you can do that and other than not being able to use them in browsers once relaunched you should see no ill effects.