The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Indentation in Context view ? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In Project view tasks can be indented/nested. Context view, however, is 'flat'/ unindented.

As Project view is for logical structure, and Context view shows pragmatic sequence, this makes some sense, but it can lead to a counter-intuitive sequence in Context view, in which more general tasks could look as if they must be carried out before more specific tasks. (See attached screendump).

The purist (and possibly correct?) response might be that indentation should not really be used in Project view, and that all nesting should be flattened to the distinction between Projects and Tasks. In practice, however, I think that users will appreciate and make good use of some further nesting.

Is there perhaps an argument for displaying that nesting in Context view as well as Project view ? It might avoid confusion about sequence of action in a flattened list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ContextFlat.png
Views:	564
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	199   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProjectNested.png
Views:	566
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	200  

In your example "Test Latest Build" is a Project, not a task at all. I think having nesting allows us to think in sub-projects which could be seen as sloppy yet I'm frustrated that the subprojects have the characteristics of tasks and not projects (cannot set sequential/parallel, for example) because that is how I would use them. Best thing probably is to move "Test Latest Build" into the Projects list, or consider it superfluous and omit it.

{I done writing on this topic of nesting, at least for several more builds}

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb
yet I'm frustrated that the subprojects have the characteristics of tasks and not projects (cannot set sequential/parallel, for example) because that is how I would use them.
Actually via the context menu (ctrl-click) on a subproject, you can check whether you want it Parallel or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Actually via the context menu (ctrl-click) on a subproject, you can check whether you want it Parallel or not.

Ahh, didn't see that before. Now I want some graphic reminder of and switch for that choice in the task pane.

Interesting - if I indent a task it turns the task above it into a project, just like in the above example. However if I view the context, the new project (in the example above that would be Test Latest Build) doesn't show up at all, except as the project for the task that was indented beneath it. This no matter what filter settings I use.

Brad