The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DB Stored in iDisk Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion to my little problem. I use multiple macs and would like to take my database with me either via Flash Drive or iDisk

Thanks
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenlow View Post
I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion to my little problem. I use multiple macs and would like to take my database with me either via Flash Drive or iDisk

Thanks
Eric
Search the forums for "idisk". You'll find 20 relevant threads.

Curt

I moved ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus folder to my USB disk and then created a symlink to it from ~/Library/Application Support. I didn't test it extensively yet but it seems to be working fine so far.

That's a real good & simple solution Roustem, also one of the first times I have ever been motivated to want to buy a USB keychain.

iDisk would be nice, except that to be reliable it would need to push saved data to iDisk post saving it to a local database as opposed to saving it live to iDisk. Saving live to iDisk could pose some big problems as far as interrupted connections and general speed. Working live off a network document, while currently fashionable has some inherent risks, especially in regard to lost data and failed saves.

That of course brings back the whole prospect of actually automating the process of pushing/pulling saved data via SyncServices, which would be really sweet if pulled off well. Personally that would be my ideal choice for using OmniFocus on multiple Macs, though in the interim, when network access would be unavailable, or if you did not have a .Mac account, Roustem's solution is ideal. Perhaps an Advanced preference for the location of saved OmniFocus Application Support would help facilitate this for more users; iGTD already has this functionality though it includes some warnings.

Ideally, OmniFocus would provide some easy ways to use your OmniFocus data set on multiple Macs for people with .Mac and those without.

Thanks,
Sam