The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

'Under Construction?' Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
"there is now an Under Construction banner on the toolbar and a 15 day expiration period. We want to make sure everyone is running the current sneaky peek version and know that they're running something that is not an official release"

There goes using the sneaky peeks for day to day usage :(

Surely if people have gone to the extent of registering on the forum and downloading a sneaky peek, they KNOW that they are running a beta without some stripey banner.

Shame, these were stable, extremely usable builds.

Last edited by Jon Hicks; 2006-04-26 at 11:59 AM..

The Under Construction banner, which is actually just on the title bar, is actually pretty subtle... I'm surprised to hear you say that it would inhibit day to day use. Is there any particular reason that would stop you from using the Sneaky Peek?

It is sort of subtle, but not enough. I do find it irritating. I just don't want that thing pulling my eye away from a site, which it does at the moment.

It's as much the fact that it doesn't seem necessary to me. However, I'm aware that I'm not the one that has to answer support emails about sneaky peek releases!

Ugh, I have to second Jon on this one. What's up with the 15 day limit? If we have a valid license, shouldn't we be able to use what we paid for? Only thing I can think of is that this is close to RC status, and that OG expects to have another SP out really soon.

We will make sure you have a release available that isn't expired, this is just to ensure that you're running the latest build available.

I was a bit wary of what 'under construction' meant, but when I (giddily) loaded up the sneaky peek I was quite pleased seeing the subtle stripes. Then again, I can see how someone in a business environment, for example, might not want them.

Jon, I totally agree.

Omnidudes, I love you guys, but there are seriously *much* better ways of indicating that an application is a beta / unstable / bleeding edge without sullying the UI like that. Just put a "construction" icon in the splash like everyone else does instead of changing the actual UI... please?

Just to be blunt: it's ugly and distracting as hell.

At first I thought this was a joke thread. How can you complain about the graphic? It is BARELY noticeable and there is nothing obtrusive or distracting about it. You are making something out of a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadCN
At first I thought this was a joke thread. How can you complain about the graphic? It is BARELY noticeable and there is nothing obtrusive or distracting about it. You are making something out of a non-issue.
Although it doesn't bother me very much, I personally refrain from blanket statements as they don't take into account personal preferences. Having seen some of Jon's work, I know he likes a refined touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadCN
Having the visual distraction of the graphic in the title bar every time I look up to a) enter an address into the address bar, or b) read the page title just to remind me that I should have lowered expectations because it's a beta is kind of silly. It's like taking a car out for a test drive and having "YOU ARE ON A TEST DRIVE" in translucent letters in your rear-view mirror.

Changing the UI in this way changes the experience of using the application. Beta testing isn't just to make sure there are no bugs and that features work correctly - it's testing the overall experience of using the application.

I hold Omnigroup to a higher level of user experience. Hell, that's one of the main reasons why I use their products: they feel right. This doesn't.