The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sidebar "Whole Document" item unnecessary? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I'd like to share my thoughts about the "Whole Document" item and its predecessor the "Show whole Document button". I don't like either of them, because I find them quite intrusive and distracting. I don't think they are necessary.

When the view is hoisted/focused on a section this section is highlighted in the sidebar. I'd like to see an implementation change where switching back to the full document view could be accomplished just by clicking on the highlighted item in the side bar.

Sven.

I disagree completely. The 'Whole Document' tab is completely necessary if other sections exist.

But couldn't the "Sections" label double as a "Show whole document" button?

Excerpt from the current release notes:

Quote:
Sidebar — The “All Sections” sidebar item has been removed. To view your entire document, Command-Click to deselect the selected item in the Contents pane.
I like this change. It should be noted that you can go back to view the entire document by clicking on the empty space below the sections list. OO4 behaves like the list view in a finder window.

However, I'd really like being able to switch back to the full view just by clicking the "Contents" header in the side bar.

Sven.

I agree. What's wrong with having "All Sections" to click on instead of "Command-Click" or clicking in the empty area below the sections? Isn't it more intuitive to have something labeled to click on, than to have to know the trick?

Similarly, I preferred having a search bar instead of the search icon. With the Search bar, as in OO3, you just enter your search term and it performs it. Now, with the icon, you have the added step of clicking the icon to open the search bar.

Why is that better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven.luetkemeier View Post
Excerpt from the current release notes:

I like this change. It should be noted that you can go back to view the entire document by clicking on the empty space below the sections list. OO4 behaves like the list view in a finder window.

However, I'd really like being able to switch back to the full view just by clicking the "Contents" header in the side bar.

Sven.
Looks like you do have a point then, seeing that your recommendation has been implemented into the current builds of OmniOutliner 4.

Nevertheless I did quite like the previous implementation, although I do understand that it doesn't really make sense to have the 'All Sections' thing at the top (unless it's pinned at the top, in which case the concern about the 'All Sections' being stuck at the top (hence needing scrolling to get to it) is mitigated).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbar View Post
I agree. What's wrong with having "All Sections" to click on instead of "Command-Click" or clicking in the empty area below the sections? Isn't it more intuitive to have something labeled to click on, than to have to know the trick?

Similarly, I preferred having a search bar instead of the search icon. With the Search bar, as in OO3, you just enter your search term and it performs it. Now, with the icon, you have the added step of clicking the icon to open the search bar.

Why is that better?
There's the issue that's present in minimal interfaces like Windows Phone 7(/8) or the new design language introduced in iOS 7, where people are expected to know (or learn) intuitively what certain areas are interactive.

Previously people would understand that buttons with an outline around it signifies that it's either an editable space or a interactive objective, whereas, now, by the absence of objects, this can be implied as well.

Similar to the issue with disappearing scrollbars. For iOS I have it on (no problem with that, and it's the only option available) but for OS X I've turned on permanent scrollbars, as it's a good visual indicator for your position on the page (as opposed to having to touch your trackpad and move it slightly every single time you want to see your location, or whether there is more content to follow).

Similar situation in this case, with the 'clicking' white space in order to revert to 'all sections'.