The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

question about processing mail messages into actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
in the omnifocus instructions:

"Once the Mail Rule has been added, you can tell OmniFocus what kind of messages to look for. One way is to look for messages that have +omnifocus before the @ sign in the destination address, as in cornelius+omnifocus@omnigroup.com. If your mail service is properly set up for this type of addressing, the message arrives in the correct mailbox as if the plus sign and the extra word were not there, but they act as a label for special handling. "

how do you set this up in your mail service?

Can't really help you with that , but you might try option two , shown in preferences , which is a distinctive symbol before the subject of the mail .

I used -- for a while and then it mysteriously stopped working again , usually I just use the clipping service to send the message to my inbox .. it's much easier .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesX View Post
tra word were not there, but they act as a label for special handling. [/I]"

how do you set this up in your mail service?
Probably, you don't have any control over it except insofar as you have a choice of mail service provider. Some ISPs support it, and others don't, but I've never encountered one where the user had any say in the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ext555 View Post
Can't really help you with that , but you might try option two , shown in preferences , which is a distinctive symbol before the subject of the mail .

I used -- for a while and then it mysteriously stopped working again , usually I just use the clipping service to send the message to my inbox .. it's much easier .
But the clipping service is really a different animal -- it gets text into your Inbox which you can edit into actions/projects. The mail processor is aimed at allowing you to send yourself new actions remotely via email, and leaves a bit to be desired as a way to import email text into the Inbox largely intact. As I recall, part of the rationale for the email processing into new actions was as a stopgap for mobile device users to allow mobile data entry before the iPhone could sync to OmniFocus. With the iPhone app out, the need for such functionality diminishes, but I don't see the need for the email clipping services diminishing at all.

It is unfortunate that it is so hard to debug why the email -> inbox link sometimes doesn't work.

i use the " clip-o-tron " to send mail from my exchange mailbox to OF.
Control-Z for me and bingo , it's in there ..
Now, if only apple would allow for such an animal on the phone : )

tx for the feedback,

I am getting used to the clipping option and for my purposes it works just fine...

it would be nice to be able to have a icon "send to inbox" on my mac mail toolbar though,

anyone know how to add a custom icon like that?

As far as I know, you can only add applescripts as custom toolbar items in Omni Apps. I'd love it if Apple implemented the same feature.

I would love to use the clipping service with apple mail, but it is always greyed out...Any suggestions?

There are some situations where it will be grayed out. You need to either click on a message in the message list (without subsequently clicking in the body of the message without selecting some text), or select some text in the body of the message display. With the default Mac OS X color scheme, if you have a blue highlight on the message in the message list, it should work, and if you have a gray highlight, it won't, unless you have selected some text in the message.

Good:

Good:

Bad: