The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Perspective filter for "due in the next XX days"? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd like to be able to create a perspective to show tasks due within the next couple days, but without changing my "Due Soon" timeframe preference (which is 24-hours), so that I see all today's tasks colored orange in my perspective but can still see some upcoming tasks.

I couldn't find any way to do this. I expected there would be a Perspective settings to filter by "Due in the next XX days", but there doesn't seem to be.

Any workaround?

I'm afraid that's not currently supported, and I can't find an existing request in the development database that covers this. I'll file a new one just to be sure we have it recorded. Thanks!

Can't you just use a perspective like this:

-Set your focus however you want (I use All my projects and actions), then switch into Context mode.

Set view filters like this:

Context Filter: Active
Group Filter: Due
Sort Filter: Due
Available: Available
Time: Any

This will give a display that show only available actions sorted like this:

Due Today-
Due Tomorrow-
Due within the Next Week-
Due within the Next Month-
Due within next 3 months-

Keep only the timeframes that you want to see expanded and then save the perspective.

If your value of XX days is one of the available settings for Due Soon, you could set Due Soon to that, group by due date, and show due actions. Close any groups for overdue actions if you literally only want to see upcoming due actions. Save the perspective with the restore expansion box ticked.

I like to group by context, but I hadn't thought about grouping by due date. That's a good idea; I'll play with that. I'll miss my context headings, but it could be a useful perspective.

Hmm. Sorting by Context sorts them alphabetically instead of the order I've arranged my contexts in (which is the order they appear when Grouping by Context). Seems like a bug.

It does seem that sorting by context ought to follow sidebar order, doesn't it? I'd never noticed because my contexts are largely in alphabetical order at each level, but I shuffled some around and the display order didn't change. iPad produces identical behavior in my tests.