The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lists Functionality Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I use the Lists functionality frequently to annotate my drawings. Unfortunately, its use is a bit burdensome. Creating and managing bulleted lists is not as easy as in other apps. I frequently have to reset tabs, delete bullets on blank lines, reformat lists after reopening a document, and reselect the list type to add a bullet to a new line (instead of having the bullet appear on new lines automatically).

Are there any plans for upcoming releases to streamline use of Lists?

I’d like to know too.

Bullet lists in OmniGraffle are clearly buggy and implemented without serious consideration.

I'd like to piggy back this with a request to get the Styles, Spacing and List pulldowns into the text inspector, or make another inspector and call it "styles"

It would be a game-changer to have an adequate implementation of stylesheets in this tool, after all 80% of what we use OG for has text. (We're not using it to make logos)

+1
Lists are a pain currently, and have been so for a long time.

And it sucks on Visio as well. Perhaps I'm just used to the way Microsoft does their bullets, and I expect the same behavior.

There seems to be a fissure between inspector functionality and features in the ruler bar. I wonder if the inspectors have a code freeze at the moment.

It's not just Microsoft's behavior. Behaviors for ordered and unordered lists are quite simple and pain-free for a boatload of applications. Omnigraffle's current lists behavior is counterproductive. The forced reformatting efforts and the need to restructure content when adding new bullets is not an issue in Visio (or any other application for that matter).

Hopefully, someone from The Omni Group will zone in on our comments and take action. This has got to be a simple fix. Even TextEdit's bullets are pain-free.

It's a missing feature that will become more and more blatant in the design community who are expecting wireframes at a higher fidelity.

I get the feeling that the dev team simply punted the features that have to do with styles and text formatting. That better change.

5 years ago wireframing tools didn't need formatting because it was assumed that it would get specified in comp stage, but more and more I'm faced with projects that intend to use previously content components, and only a wireframe is provided to identify which components will be used.

Add that to the fact that there seems to be a growing portion of clients that are extremely literal, and expect wireframes to accurately represent character count and pixel widths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilliamhood View Post
I use the Lists functionality frequently to annotate my drawings. Unfortunately, its use is a bit burdensome. Creating and managing bulleted lists is not as easy as in other apps. I frequently have to reset tabs, delete bullets on blank lines, reformat lists after reopening a document, and reselect the list type to add a bullet to a new line (instead of having the bullet appear on new lines automatically).

Are there any plans for upcoming releases to streamline use of Lists?
I agree 100%.

Right now, when I want a list, I make the list in Pages and copy it into OmniGraffle. This is much quicker, particularly if the list has sub-list items.