The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Project notes in context view... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedboy View Post
BTW, one thing that occurs to me is to have the project notes appear in the inspector (fine for small amounts of info), or in a drawer (if the goal is to support larger amounts of info).
Hmm, having a drawer to hold project notes, links, and other supporting materials seems like an interesting idea to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I thought you might say that. :-) My retort would be: even if you keep it in a separate file, wouldn't it be nice to link to it from OF? (Which would require putting a file link in the project's note field, which returns us to the original problem.)
Clearly I've been spending too much time on this forum instead of getting things done! :-)

I can see your point. I guess I trust myself to recall what the supporting file is called, and I trust Quicksilver to put it in front of me when I want it.

Here's another use case for easy access to the project's note field. I'll often attached an email message to a project rather than the included actions. For example, suppose I get an email letting me know that papers that I've agreed to review are available for review. I'll often link that email from a project's note field. Under the project I have my actions: download papers, print papers, mark up papers, write reviews, post reviews. For the first and last action, I need the server URL that's contained in the email message. Quicksilver doesn't help me with this, because my email database is too large to catalog with Quicksilver.

That said, I don't personally need access to the project's note field in context view. Currently I can hit Cmd-opt-R, up arrow, then ctrl-f (my QS trigger to run my Open Linked Item script). I'm kind of crazy at remembering command-key combinations, so this work for me.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
suppose I get an email letting me know that papers that I've agreed to review are available for review. I'll often link that email from a project's note field.
And how do you do that? How do you link an email message from a project's note field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome View Post
And how do you do that? How do you link an email message from a project's note field?
I did some further poking around and found your software page <http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~clifton/software.html>, which includes your various OF AppleScripts. So never mind. (And thanks for sharing the scripts.) :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome View Post
It took me a while to figure out, but I realized (with MailTags) ctrl-clicking on the message in mail, "copy message url," then pasting it in OF works. Is there an even better way?

If an incoming mail message causes me to create a new project I use my Mail-OF script. I select the mail message in Mail, trigger the script (using a QuickSilver hotkey), and edit the action description in the QuickEntry window.

When processing my OF inbox, I drag the item from the inbox to the sidebar to create a project, then add a next actions under it.

Curt