The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Task due date and impact on preceding tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I often have projects for which I enter a few next actions, say: A, B, and C. I have a due date for today for B, so I also capture this information.

The problem is that when I look at my "next actions" sorted by "due date", A doesn't under "today". Instead if shows under "none". Shouldn't A show under "today", since B depends on A, and B has a due date of "today"?

Alex

I totally and strongly agree!!! (I've made the same point in this thread.) Please join me in sending feedback to Omni on this issue.

Alex,

Until this behavior is changed (or in case it isn't changed), the solution is to create an action group containing A and B and put the due date on the group. The easiest way to create the group is to select A and B, then choose Structure --> Group.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Until this behavior is changed (or in case it isn't changed), the solution is to create an action group containing A and B and put the due date on the group. The easiest way to create the group is to select A and B, then choose Structure --> Group.
OK, this is a good work-around.

I used the "send feedback" to report this to our friends at OmniGroup. Hopefully the OmniEar will listen to us :).

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I was unaware of this feature, so I thought I'd try it. I selected a couple of adjacent tasks, then chose Structure > Group, but both items disappeared and a new, blank task appeared. Confused, I chose Undo and tried again -- with the same results. So I chose Undo again, switched to another project, tried it with those actions, but again had the same results.

This can't be right, can it? I'm in build 93151.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome View Post
I was unaware of this feature, so I thought I'd try it. I selected a couple of adjacent tasks, then chose Structure > Group, but both items disappeared and a new, blank task appeared. Confused, I chose Undo and tried again -- with the same results. So I chose Undo again, switched to another project, tried it with those actions, but again had the same results.
Actually, a new blank action should appear as the parent of the tasks you grouped. Is it possible that the parent was collapsed? If the little triangle to the left of the new blank action is pointing to the right rather than down, the grouped tasks will be hidden. If not, I say that was a bug and should be reported.

The other possibility is that you had a combination of View Bar settings and project settings that caused the child actions to be filtered out.

Curt