The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Indicator or status bar for "arranged/filtered" items Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is sort of a general usability comment.

If I have a search term plugged into the search box, things that might normally be visible are hidden. This is the desired behavior, obviously.

Clearly this is great when you're searching for something, but if you've forgotten that you have something plugged into the search box, it appears that all your information is missing. This has happened to me numerous times. I usually figure it out pretty quickly, but it is sort of jarring.

I think there should be some sort of indication in the main window reminding you that the contents are being filtered by a search term or by a setting in the arrangement bar.

I'm thinking about a small icon showing that a search term is in place and/or a small icon showing that an arrangement bar setting is influencing the contents of the window.

I think the icon(s) should go at the bottom of the main window in sort of a status bar. That bar could also contain, counts for the total number of actions/projects/contexts, number of completed actions, number of next actions, due in the next x period of time, etc.

But, if I'm forgetting to look up at the search/arrangement bar, how will I remember to look at the status bar at the bottom? I don't know if I will. Maybe small icons are the wrong paradigm. Maybe a colored stripe or icons at the top of the window would work better? Maybe something like the inbox cross-hatch shading would work?

I'm interested in what other people think and if they've had this problem too.

Last edited by mloiterman; 2007-07-11 at 07:18 AM..

I've run into this a few times - total panic thinking this alpha software had deleted all my actions before I realized there was something in the search bar filtering them all out.

The solution I was thinking of proposing is this:

If there is something in the search bar, whenever the main pane changes its view (altering filters, moving from project to context view, etc.), the search bar itself blinks or flashes (just once or twice) as a gentle reminder that its filter is in effect.

I was thinking about something like that. I think maybe just clearing the search bar after clicking away from the current project or context would be the easiest thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloiterman
I was thinking about something like that. I think maybe just clearing the search bar after clicking away from the current project or context would be the easiest thing.
I agree. I can't imagine where searching for a term in one view or context would have any relevance in another view or context.

I have had this happen to me as well. After a couple of times of this happening, I am trained.

I like the idea of having a visual clue.... Maybe the style of the background. Much like how the inbox has diagonal hashes across it.

Yes, I had this happen as well. How about some sort of UI cue, like Gmail gives? When you've opened a message you searched for, it has a green border.

i've got the same thing on my list of suggestions....now i can check it off. my heart stops each time i get caught by this. count me in for a vote for increasing the visual cue associated with a search!