The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OW Updater woes under 5.7 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Every time I try to install a new update from 5.7, I get the following error:

Quote:
Download Failed

Unable to download http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp1/pub/sneakypeek/omniweb/releases/OmniWeb-5.7-r96672-Alpha.tbz2 to /Users/bill/Downloads/OmniWeb-5.7-r96672-Alpha.tbz2.

Please check the permissions and space available in your downloads folder.
Which makes sense on one level, as the /Home/Downloads folder is now owned by OS X in Leopard, and OS X is not interested in letting anyone write to it.

Trouble is, I don't have my downloads folder set to /Users/bill/Downloads, nor do I have it set to any subfolder (I used to, but changed it).

I've tried changing the default download folder and trashing all of my OW preferences - to no avail.

I don't think your download folder should be owned by the system. It should be owned by you just like the other folders under Home.

Supporting your download location is something we hope to do in the future.

My downloads folder is owned by (me)

Thanks for the help, it worked. :)

After some digging, it turns out that Leopard's Archive and Install option occasionally has issues with migrating permissions properly, and any attempt to fix the permissions via the Get Info window crashes the Finder.