The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus with Evernote Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
saw this today on the nozbe site. how do you like them apples?
i think my OF would look great in that outfit! yours?

i made a feature request to the support ninjas so if you agree drop them a note to cast a vote for it

check it:
http://blog.evernote.com/2010/03/19/...e-integration/

Last edited by mister blahblah; 2010-04-04 at 02:46 PM..

My biggest argument against this is... I don't want all my personal information on someone else's server where they can browse my life, my ideas, my plans at their whim. I'm not saying either of these companies do this... but all the information is totally available to them. Not to mention the security of the information on the transit to the servers.

That said, I use Evernote religiously because it's the only note taking app that I can use to sync with the iPhone. If another company comes out with a strong note taking application that can sync locally to my iPhone, I'd be all in in a heart beat.

Yojimbo was my tool of choice, but when the iPhone came out they didn't continue with a way to sync. So I went over to Evernote.

I agree, it would be nice to have some sort of note implementation in OmniFocus.

Often, the work I'm doing in actions is gathering information. If I store it in an OmniFocus action note and complete, then the note is completed.

Someone could write an applescript to compile all the notes of actions into a single note... however I clip a lot of emails into OmniFocus and may not want all those into the master note.

One way omnifocus could work with notes is to have one global note attached to a project. Anytime I add a note to an action and complete it, the project note is updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister blahblah View Post
how do you like them apples?
there's a worm inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
My biggest argument against this is... I don't want all my personal information on someone else's server where they can browse my life, my ideas, my plans at their whim.
i can understand your concern, but i dont get what your saying. if your 'syncing' at all or using any "cloud computing" environment, then its already on someone else's server and available to them anyway, but then again so is just about all your other personal information: email, insurance, medical, banking, tax info, facebook, flickr, google docs etc. you might as well shoot yourself now if thats your concern or go back to a pad and pencil on a desert island and eat the notes when your done with them. how is this any different? do you sync OF?

evernote's info is just as secure as any other data, and the premium accounts have increased security. furthermore, if your worried about sensitive data you can always encrypt it within the app before you sync so that it can only be read on your own machine. if you use it 'religiously' i dont see what you could be hesitant about... and there are other syncing note applications.

...just eat the worm.

-from an evernote security doc as old as 2008:
"When you add a note to the service, it is secured like your email would be at a high-end email provider. This means that your notes are stored in a private, locked cage at a guarded data center that can only be accessed by a small number of Evernote operations personnel. Administrative maintenance on these servers can only be performed through secure, encrypted communications by the same set of people. All network access to these servers is similarly protected by a set of firewalls and hardened servers. Your login information is only transmitted to the servers in encrypted form over SSL, and your passwords are not directly stored on any of our systems.'

Call me paranoid, but I agree with Spiral. Evernote and Nozbe are probably fine companies with fine products (I don't know since I don't use either), but I'm automatically wary of keeping my most important data on servers that aren't under my control, or that I can't at least exercise some control over. This is the primary reason I avoid these kinds of hosted services (aka "cloud computing") for anything I consider sensitive.

Clearly there are a lot of people who do not share my paranoia, or these business models wouldn't exist today. So do as you wish with your data. But claiming everything is available anyway so you might as well give your stuff away freely is like deciding to leave your house unlocked 24/7 because any burglar could break in anyway if he really wanted to, even with the door locked.

As for syncing OmniFocus, we have the option to sync locally via Bonjour or to sync to a WebDAV server under our direct control. Even syncing to MobileMe feels slightly safer than a hosted service -- yeah, Apple owns the server, but at least I can see where my data is going and modify it, move it, or delete it whenever I want.

Ideally, OmniFocus would encrypt its database sent to the server. Then you could sync it anywhere and not have to worry. BTW, there's a feature request open on that if you want to email the support ninjas.

I admit, unless you're going to live in a cave, you ultimately have to trust someone else at some point. But I feel more comfortable keeping things as "close to home" as possible. And if I have to rely on another company, I like to stick with as few as possible, and only those with whom I've worked with for a long time and who have earned my trust.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2010-04-05 at 09:46 AM..

i respect your opinions and dont want this to be taken as a rant in any way but...

i didnt say you should just give out your information freely i just said there really isnt much difference, or to roughly use your analogy if you use a padlock on the back door its pointless to put an electrified fence and an optical scan on the front unless its only to have the impression of feeling safer. although in this case we are hardly talking about padlocks.

-"Even syncing to MobileMe feels slightly safer than a hosted service -- yeah, Apple owns the server, but at least I can see where my data is going and modify it, move it, or delete it whenever I want."

i think feeling is the key word here because it really isnt much more than that. i mean, ignoring specific applications, most allow you to move, delete, modify etc but they all keep back ups, etc and have an entire process the end-user has no control over.

which leads to your very valid point that you limit your exposure to decrease probability of intrusion. optional encryption pre-sync would be great, ill drop a note. i dont use or know much about nozbe but evernote does allow you to fully encrypt any note and the key is only stored with the user locally.

-the service allows users to encrypt all, or any part, of any note, and the company says it doesn’t receive the key to decrypt this material. The only part of a wholly encrypted note that the company would hold on its server would be its title and tags, if any

-Walter Mossberg, Wall Street Journal, 2010

http://tiny.cc/vfu81

Last edited by mister blahblah; 2010-04-05 at 10:31 AM..

There is another level of GTD that you haven't reached yet.

Once you start processing relationships and personal things in GTD, then it becomes more than just a grocery list. Once you start putting your dreams and desires into it to try and make them happen, then it becomes something other than facebook or email or even financial data.

I'm aware that all emails are going through others servers. I don't get personal with emails. If I want to get personal, I talk to someone on the phone or in person.

This is not a luddite stance. I use all the tools of technology and embrace them. But that doesn't mean I shove down my throat to consume any idea that any one has. You do this, you'll get parasites.

There is a normal amount of trust in the good in people that is healthy. And there is an amount that is reckless. And there is the amount that is paranoid.

How many people, if they found their sig other's journal lying on the counter, wouldn't open it and read it? This is someone who they care about. And yet you think a company is trustworthy, just because why??? Everyone is doing it? You think some stranger, sitting in a server room, really cares anything about you? That's not trust, that's something else.

This is the one thing Apple could do to compete with the google giant. They could offer encrypted email servers. Not just to and from their servers, but email encrypted on their servers, verified by a third party, that no one but their sender and receiver could read, including their employees. Who else offers this service? Google never would, because they make money off scanning, analyzing your emails. The only hope you have is that you are a drop in the bucket.

There are people in the world with ideas. And there are people in the world who know how to get things done; people with power, people with money. There are people in the world who feed off others, because they don't have ideas, but they have connections, or power, or money. There is give and take in the world. It's important we know what is being given and what is being stolen. There is a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister blahblah View Post

-the service allows users to encrypt all, or any part, of any note, and the company says it doesn’t receive the key to decrypt this material. The only part of a wholly encrypted note that the company would hold on its server would be its title and tags, if any

-Walter Mossberg, Wall Street Journal, 2010

http://tiny.cc/vfu81
Yes... you can encrypt a note. And then it is not searchable, and to read every note, you have to type in the password. Defeats the purpose of Evernote.

Maybe OmniFocus could come out with an OmniNote, that is Bonjour sync able?

One of the best and worst things Apple did was to not allow 3rd parties to sync through a cable. Worst, because of how insecure almost all 3rd party apps are. Best, because it pushed a crowd of people into the wifi arena.

Quote:
There is another level of GTD that you haven't reached yet.
Once you start processing relationships and personal things in GTD, then it becomes more than just a grocery list. Once you start putting your dreams and desires into it to try and make them happen, then it becomes something other than facebook or email or even financial data....And yet you think a company is trustworthy, just because why??? Everyone is doing it? You think some stranger, sitting in a server room, really cares anything about you? That's not trust, that's something else.
maybe i should be worried about you since you presume to know so much about me?! i may be new to omnifocus with GTD but that doesnt mean im unorganized or didnt track very personal items using other alternatives.

look, more or less i agree with everything your saying so lets not get too excited. i only was expressing a desire to link up with the notes in evernote that i deemed helpful, and im sure a lot of people agree with me as i see it mentioned all the time.

if something is supersensitive, then i can track it another way or i can encrypt the sensitive portion and leave a title, tags and description unencrypted (that is searchable) i can also keep my entire local database in a fully encrypted sparse bundle that is completely accessible while it is open. nobody is putting a gun to my head telling me i have to deal with everything the same way. its just an option.

Besides, not all of one's data is sensitive, a lot is reference or just a convenience. you are saying all this yet you say you use evernote "religiously". obviously at some level you have already accepted the risk of everything your talking about or you wouldnt do it. no?

btw, and with no sarcasm, i really did like your last paragraph in that post. very poetic and darkly well written. fantastic! i thought maybe morpheus was going to appear in my room at any moment or some girl knock on my door with a bunny tattoo. you would take the red pill wouldnt you?

Quote:
There are people in the world with ideas. And there are people in the world who know how to get things done; people with power, people with money. There are people in the world who feed off others, because they don't have ideas, but they have connections, or power, or money. There is give and take in the world. It's important we know what is being given and what is being stolen. There is a difference.

I've accepted risk with my notes...

Although having access to someones notes can say a lot about a person and give a pretty good psyc profile, goals & actions is a persons core. My tolerance for risk goes way down with this.

If there was another note application that synced between my iPhone and desktop, offered robust searching, audio & picture taking, I would jump to it.

I've tinkered with using OmniFocus for my notes but, it doesn't offer the following:
• a place to store all my notes as notes (sometimes I have notes in projects and sometimes I just have notes).
• robust searching
• efficient viewing of notes

I would love to have all my notes in OmniFocus, especially with the reviewing feature that OF has! I've even suggested Evernote have a review feature but it fell onto barren ground.

I have my own work arounds in Evernote for creating an inbox (untagged searching), and reviewing based on a relative date modified (the reviewing is buggy).

Every day I go through untagged items in Evernote and delete, or place a tag on them. It's my note 'Inbox'.

One question to ask is... why do we even have "cloud" computing? In my mind is a silly buzz word.

Syncing has been around forever. I was syncing notes between my palm and mac desktop 10 years ago. Windows users have been doing it longer.

So why the emphasis on cloud computing?
Google

They didn't have desktop software, and started making web applications. Others jumped on the bandwagon.

It's easier for companies to develop cloud computing... i'm assuming... they can aggregate all the users data, and make fixes without rolling out updates; syncing is easier, but the main reason they love it, is centralized data.

They have access to all that data.

And all the fish follow... mostly because google is free. My main email account is google, because it's free, adds are non intrusive, and if I ever needed to cancel my email accounts due to budget issues, I wouldn't need to change my email address. But all email servers are alike, the companies who host can peruse the data, and emails are insecure.

But where does goggle make their money?

For a long time there has been a division of whether computers should be dumb terminals attached to a mainframe (where it all started) or individual machines. In fact, Apple's initial bet was that computers could be more than dumb terminals. Hence the name Personal Computer. And they were laughed at. And now there is the danger of returning to the dumb terminal attached to a cloud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8