The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CopyAll and Themes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, just installed OOiPad last night and have a couple of newbie q's.
1. is it poss to select several/all nodes and copy them to paste elsewhere (eg.in other OO doc)?
2. I see some prettily styled templates but can one set a Theme(StyleSheet) to be applied elsewhere in one go or is only route to duplicate doc, replace each node's content, tweak and keep a minimal content version as future template?

1) Nope. There is no node copy/paste in this version.

2) Styles can be built as parents of other styles. Building a template is as easy as building these style sets and applying the first style to your first heading. You might want to have some sample text in your template so you know what it looks like but it isn't necessary.

Yes, you'll have to duplicate the document. There is no way to say "New based on style" though that is a good one for the support ninjas.

Thanks, TCM, I'll email the Ninjas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCatMachine View Post
Yes, you'll have to duplicate the document. There is no way to say "New based on style" though that is a good one for the support ninjas.
I have to say I'm extremely confused by this omission. I've been searching all over the app to see how I can apply the built in Solarized light style as the default to a new document. The fact that these nice styles are displayed on first opening the app and that you can't start a new outline with the prebuilt style just baffles me, it makes me wonder what the point of all the different prebuilt styles are if I can't use them easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbowell View Post
I have to say I'm extremely confused by this omission. I've been searching all over the app to see how I can apply the built in Solarized light style as the default to a new document. The fact that these nice styles are displayed on first opening the app and that you can't start a new outline with the prebuilt style just baffles me, it makes me wonder what the point of all the different prebuilt styles are if I can't use them easily.
Unfortunately Omni didn't even make the Solarized doc with styles that could be used. Mostly the colours need to be manually changed or applied to the styles.

You could duplicate the Solarized document using the Duplicate button in the document browser (between the export and delete buttons under the document you'd like to use). It will have all the named styles and you can outline to your heart's content!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbowell View Post
I know, Phil, I had same reaction as Omni are usually very good at anticipating 'natural' things the user might want to do.
Following HappyCat's reply, I emailed this feature request to
omnioutliner-ipad@omnigroup.com
Ninja Monica replied...
One of the factors that determines what we add to our apps is the number of people that are requesting a given change, so thanks for requesting this. We really value your support!
...so send in a request!
(Here's mine FYI
In the documents it would be useful to have "New based on style" as an option along with "Duplicate Doc" or however it's phrased.
In addition, it would useful to have a Themes drilldown in the same popover that the the whole doc styling is in. This might have "Theme: 'default'/'document'/'unsaved'>" and in the next drilldown the option to name&save the theme or choose from other themes already saved on this iPad.
)
Until OO add this feature, I'm going to create a collection of templates with minimal content to duplicate and fill in. All a bit to preplanned and not very Omni, I know, but at least I trust those guys to iron out omissions in their apps!

They could solve this with better file management including folders as well. It wouldn't be true templates but it would at least allow us to store our template documents into a folder. As it is with all our files thrown together it makes it challenging to manage even without template documents.

Yeah, but I was under the impression that this is more of an iOS issue (and one which Apple will need to address as the iOS needs to evolve away from its IPhone beginnings)
To be honest, HappyCat, I'd be happy with not having templates but having access to saved themes under the spanner icon. If I need a template for content purposes, I can live with them being among the file conglomeration (for now!).
What I would like, tho', is the ability to select a bunch of nodes and copy/paste them into a different outline.(Ninja request coming up!)