The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Other Omni Software > OmniDazzle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Screen capture (screen grab) weirdness with Cutout Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When trying to do a screen capture of a *window* that has been given the Cutout treatment, I get bad results. Mind you, this happens only when I try to grab a window. Capturing a full screen or only a selection seems to work okay.

This happens when I do the capture using OS X keystrokes, and also when I use the screen capture feature of a nifty little program called EasyCrop < http://www.yellowmug.com/easycrop/ >

Has anyone else ran into this?

Particulars:
OS version: OS X 10.5.1 (Leopard)
OmniDazzle version: 1.0.2 (v15.16)
EasyCrop version: 2.2.4

Could you clarify what you mean by "bad results"?
Cutout (and some of the other effects) draw a gray semi-transparent window over the whole screen. So some screen grab apps try to grab that whole window instead of the window you expect. Perhaps that's what's going on for you too.

Have you emailed our support ninjas about this? (omnidazzle@omnigroup.com)

Thanks for your reply, Lizard.

By bad results I mean exactly what you anticipated. Even though I specifically try to capture a window, what happens is the entire screen (including the gray semi-transparent window) gets captured.

I have two ways to do a window capture: 1) Using the screen-capture keystrokes that are part of OS X, and 2) using a third-party program named EasyCrop that gives you the option to grab a selection, window, or entire screen. An attempt to capture a *window* using either of the two ways will yield a capture of the entire *screen*.

I haven't contacted the support ninjas about the problem yet. However, I did write the makers of EasyCrop about it, and here is an excerpt from their reply (Note that SnapNDrag is the component of EasyCrop that actually does the screen capture):
I believe OmniDazzle works by covering the entire screen with a transparent (or translucent) window. There's no window border and title bar, but the window is there. That's why when SnapNDrag snap the window, you get the whole screen.
Evidently they agree with you about what's behind the problem.

The thing is, it seems like the most logical reason for having Cutout in the first place would be to produce a capture of a *window* (not a screen), one that would be saved and subsequently inserted into a document or web page. I suppose if all you were going to use Cutout for is live presentations, then the screen capture would be of little consequence. Still, I would have to think that the majority of people who would want to use Cutout would want to use it to capture a *window*, winding up with a graphic they can repurpose and insert into another program.

And since it might be useful to others--and it might help in coming up with a solution to this problem--I'll mention that the makers of EasyCrop make SnapNDrag available to the Mac community for free. It makes doing a screen shot a, well, a snap. < http://yellowmug.com/snapndrag/ >

In the meantime, I'm going to try to figure out how to get this in front of the support ninjas.

Thanks again!

i prefer Macvide_screencap (macvide.com), try it!

i heard a lot of nice opinions about this tool http://www.geovid.com/Screen_VidShot/

Try Onde Screen Capture for Mac . This

Mac grabbing utility for Mac enables you tocapture any part on your Mac desktop including

rectangular or ellipse region, freehand region, full screen, active window or all windows,

etc.