The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't use Stencil? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I downloaded a stencil from graffletopia and it is showing in "Favorite Stencils" - however I can not drag it to my document - nor do I know how to get it to appear in the "Template Chooser" as an option when first creating a document.

I've checked to see if the stencil is locked - it is not.

I've checked the manual and these boards with no luck thus far...any ideas?

Thank you!

~Kidtreo

Which stencil? Which version of OG?

Version 5 - mind map stencil

thank you!

I downloaded the Mind Map stencil, installed it in Library/Application Support/OmniGraffle/Stencils and restarted OmniGraffle. Upon doing so, the Mind Map stencil was at the top of the list, and clicking on it revealed the diagram shown on the GraffleTopia site. I dragged a rectangle around the contents of the stencil and dragged it to my blank diagram and ended up with the following:

To make it into a template, I did File->New Resource->New Template..., selected a blank diagram, then copied over the contents of the stencil and saved it in the Templates directory. Upon restarting OmniGraffle my new template showed up in the Miscellaneous category.

I'm no OmniGraffle wizard, could probably could the number of diagrams I've done without taking off my shoes, but this all seems like how I would expect it to work...what were you expecting?

Thank you!

I was trying to drag the template in the list (which does allow itself to be dragged) to a blank page or to the Canvas area - as well, trying this with the Title header of the displayed area at the bottom of Stencils Panel.

The usability of this is a little odd...It didn't occur to me I would need to manually lasso everything in the thumbnail and drag that out to a blank page- which does work...again thank you.

I'm nothing more than a dabbler when it comes to mind maps, to be sure, but I had a similar reaction to that stencil. It seemed like if you weren't going to have pretty much the same structure, many of the pieces might not be very convenient to use, at least compared to a purpose-built mind map tool such as NovaMind. But, if someone finds that it works for them, I won't attempt to tell them otherwise :-) I can certainly understand the desire to use expensive software you already own rather than buying another expensive program!