The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniPlan 1.5 Beta 1 is out! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OmniPlan 1.5 beta 1 is now available and is a free update for existing OmniPlan 1.x owners. There's lots of exciting new features like:
  • Linking Attachments
  • Live Filtering on View (which also applies to exports & printing)
  • Configurable Gantt Chart Label
  • Summary Headers
  • Scheduling Granularity
  • Chevrons (They appear when a task is off screen. Clicking a chevron will scroll the view to make the task visible)
  • QuickLook for Leopard users
  • Automatic Download & Install of updates
  • …a whole slew of bug fixes and enhancements. :-)

Please see the release notes for more details! Also, keep in mind that this release is still under development. Your feedback will help us improve the software, and we apologize if it crashes, corrupts your files, or otherwise misbehaves. A more stable release is also available. As always, please let us know if you have any questions or comments. You can contact us directly via our support page or by using the Send Feedback feature in your copy of OmniPlan.

Download the beta now!

Last edited by skwirl; 2007-10-31 at 02:13 PM..

im going to test it today, Thanks for the update, much sooner than what I had expected :)

App freezes as soon as I open it, im on a OSX 10.4.10

is that release leopard only ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_projects View Post
App freezes as soon as I open it, im on a OSX 10.4.10

is that release leopard only ?
No, I'm running it on Tiger. I can only guess that you have the "Open projects which were open last time you quit" preference set, and that one such document is giving us fits. Sorry about that!

If you're handy with the command line "Terminal.app", you could see what documents you're opening on launch with this command:

% defaults read com.omnigroup.OmniPlan OpenDocs

Remember which document that was, then clear the preference like so:

% defaults delete com.omnigroup.OmniPlan OpenDocs

Launch OmniPlan and my money says it won't freeze. If you open the document and OmniPlan freezes, we have our culprit. We'd really love to see that file, but you won't be able to use our Send Feedback mechanism to censor any sensitive data it contains. If that's ok, please send it to omniplan@omnigroup.com

Thanks! And sorry for the inconvenience.

-Tom

I've done exactly what you told me to,

Terminal also confirms this : There is no (OpenDocs) default for the (com.omnigroup.OmniPlan) domain.

But, OmniPlan still freezes ..

What time zone are you in? We have confirmed an issue where beta 1 (and beta 1a) will freeze on launch in Tiger and Leopard if you are in a time zone that does not have any sort of daylight saving time. (Thanks to the users in Japan and Jakarta who sent in the crash reports that helped us narrow this down!) We are of course working on a fix for this.
To confirm whether this is in fact the issue you're encountering, please send us one of the following:
1) A sample taken while OmniPlan is frozen. This can be done in Activity Monitor. Send it in an email to omniplan@omnigroup.com.
2) A crash report. If you leave the frozen OmniPlan alone long enough, CrashCatcher will appear. In the top textbox there, remind us about this forum post. Then send it back to us.

Thanks, and sorry for the hassle.

UPDATE: Just saw the crash you sent in overnight. Yes, it's the time zone without daylight saving time issue. If you want to take the new features for a spin before we address the issue, changing your system time zone to somewhere like Seattle will work. Otherwise, stick with 1.1.2. Sorry again for the nuisance.

Last edited by Lizard; 2007-11-02 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: found the crash report

thanks it worked now, but it messed my project a little, I'll have to wait for the next beta hoping it'll be fixed by then

Hello,

I have been searching for a Mac program that could help manage multiple resources tied to multiple projects in an architectural office.

We have 20 employees and typically over 60 concurrent jobs in progress.

I had basically given up looking, and was using two excel sheets, manually correlating the time between resources and projects. Then I came across Omniplan, purchased v1.2 ond upgraded to Beta 1.5 and have tried it for a couple of weeks on my Intel Powerbook.

I have created a task for each project, using subtasks for each phase and assigned the resources, using percentages for long term tasks requiring continuing attention.

By moving between task and resource view I can see if a resource is overtaxed and make adjustments to resource allocation and timelines as necessary.

This worked very well at first, and the graphic presentation made it simple to communicate the plan to the employees.

But as I gradually add the projects, now up to 60, and each with 3-10 fases the program is becoming very slow. I realize that what I have been doing is creating complicated relational mathematical computations, at an exponential rate, and that Omniplan was perhaps not conceived to do this....

any advice?

Last edited by iver-c; 2007-11-09 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: I called your program Optiplan - sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iver-c View Post
Hello,

I have been searching for a Mac program that could help manage multiple resources tied to multiple projects in an architectural office.

We have 20 employees and typically over 60 concurrent jobs in progress.

I had basically given up looking, and was using two excel sheets, manually correlating the time between resources and projects. Then I came across Omniplan, purchased v1.2 ond upgraded to Beta 1.5 and have tried it for a couple of weeks on my Intel Powerbook.

I have created a task for each project, using subtasks for each phase and assigned the resources, using percentages for long term tasks requiring continuing attention.

By moving between task and resource view I can see if a resource is overtaxed and make adjustments to resource allocation and timelines as necessary.

This worked very well at first, and the graphic presentation made it simple to communicate the plan to the employees.

But as I gradually add the projects, now up to 60, and each with 3-10 fases the program is becoming very slow. I realize that what I have been doing is creating complicated relational mathematical computations, at an exponential rate, and that Omniplan was perhaps not conceived to do this....

any advice?
I gave up waiting for help and went back to version 1.2. The speed issue disappeared, so there must be a problem with the beta that slows it down with a large number of projects/resources.

If you have big plans, donīt use the Beta!

Iver

I'm glad you're having a better experience with 1.1.2. We've recently worked on a number of performance issues, as you'll likely see in beta 3. We hope you (and everyone else) will give it a shot, and let us know whether we've got things back up to speed, or where there's still painful slow downs. Thanks for being patient with our development process.