The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post MobileMe: problem syncing with iCal using OF 1.1 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I upgraded to mobileme from .mac, have a new iPod Touch and purchased Omnifocus for iPhone. Installed the new OF beta (alpha) 1.1 on the desktop and was able to sync to the iPod, no problems. However, I have noticed that when I now sync to iCal in OF for Mac, nothing happens in iCal, the old tasks are still there and the changes recently made in OF do not sync to iCal.

I have an old post from the forum that I've kept since January which lists things to do when iCal syncing doesn't work. I've tried them all, including the final "fix" of entering the following in terminal (which always worked in the past when iCal syncing was broken):

killall SyncServer
rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/SyncServices/*

This time, the trick didn't work. I know I was taking a chance since .me sync is different, and I don't yet know if this screwed the new mobileme push and other sync capabilities.

(Update: I just got a pop up window from Mac sync to MobileMe telling me "You might be syncing this data for the first time..", I guess that makes sense since the trick wipes out all sync history on my mac - I'll use action "replace all data on MobileMe".)

At any rate, is there a problem with sneakypeek 1.1 ( v77.4.0.102775) regarding syncing with iCal on the mac?

Last edited by pvonk; 2008-07-13 at 07:21 AM..

Upon further exploration, I find that new to-dos added in iCal do sync back to OF 1.1, but new to-dos added to OF are not synced to iCal. I've carefully checked start dates (and times) to be sure these are not causing a delay in syncing. It seems, then, that iCal syncing is one way only.

Using OF 1.0, I was always able to sync both ways with iCal (except for those rare occurrences when I had to use the "trick" described in my previous post to jump start syncing again.

Okay, a final report on this situation (hopefully)!

I've discovered that, unlike before, when I sync to iCal (after adding a new task to OF), instead of the task showing up in iCal immediately as it did under OF 1.0, I have to go to the next day/week/month (in other words, I have to change the iCal display in some way) and then the new task appears in iCal.

So, I apologize for this thread as the syncing does work, although differently than before. Perhaps this will enlighten others who run into the same behavior.

Thanks for sharing your experience! iCal is supposed to pick up changes automatically, and we're obviously sending it changes or they wouldn't be showing up at all, so it sounds like the new version of iCal has a display bug where they don't redraw when things change.

Just upgraded to 1.1 and got sync working with the iPhone, no problem. But when I look to the iCal ToDo list or on Anxiety, I see nothing. Apparently, OF and iCal are talking.

I dragged one context that has two items due (and one overdue) into a calendar within the OF iCal pane. I then closed the pane and nothing in iCal. Restarted both iCal and OF, nothing. What can I do here?

SOLVED: I didn't realized iCal syncing is manual in OF. (I'm a former Things user and Things syncs real-time.)

Last edited by KG6BGJ; 2008-07-16 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: SOLVED

This may be a dumb question, but did you select "Sync with iCal" from the file menu?

No Dumber than not having realized syncing is manual in OF (it's automatic in Things)

Since it potentially changes a bunch of your data, we took the 'make the user do it so they hopefully notice if anything goes awry in either application' approach.