The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inspect Style keyboard shortcut Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Inspect Style is a pretty commonly needed toolbox, but it seems the only way to open it is to click on the toolbar and select it in the pop down menu for the appropriate drawing object. Anybody know of a keyboard shortcut for it? Would be nice, when I'm in the midst of drawing not to have to go back up to the toolbar to click that.

I suppose it'd be even better if omnigraffle would just open the appropriate style inspector automatically when something is being drawn.

Bart

If there's a difference between doing that and cmd-1, which brings up the Style Inspector, I'm not quite sure what it is. Do you see one?

I think bartzumbari is referring not to the cmd-1 open-style-inspector, but to the Inspect Style item in the triangle-pulldown on a specific tool. The difference is that the first refers to the currently selected object's style, the second to the currently selected tool's style settings. It's the style of what you're about to draw.

Since the item is not in a labeled menubar menu, you can't assign it a custom shortcut in the Keyboard preference pane.

On bartzumbari's last point, opening a palette without a specific user command is generally a bad thing. If you're screen space is so constrained that you don't have the inspectors open already (if there's room, why not?), then opening one automatically is very likely to obscure something in the diagram. If you didn't want to look at the current style details just then, the palette gets in the way.

Ah, I tried it, got the same result with either approach (cmd-1 or Inspect Style from shape tool pull-down), but my inspector must have already been on the right area.

Haven't tried it, but I wonder if one could use an Applescript that sent messages to System Events to get to the Inspect Style choice, then bind that to a keystroke with FastScripts.

They're the same in terms of opening the inspector, but its content is different. Say a shape is selected. Cmd-1 opens the inspector filled with the info for the current selection. Choosing Inspect Style in the shape tool pulldown also opens the inspector, but it then contains the info for the current shape tool instead (and deselects the current selection). Choosing Inspect Style for different tool may also open the inspector with a different panel chosen; e.g., if it was last on Fill and one inspects a line style, it opens in Stroke instead.

John, yes, what you said is what I'm talking about.

If the style inspector isn't already showing, I agree that Omnigraffle shouldn't pop one up. What I meant was, if the style inspector window is already visible and if I start drawing, say, a connector, the inspector should change its context appropriately for the connector--ie., as though I had chosen the "Inspect Style" menu from the triangle-pulldown in the toolbar.

As it is now, the default style inspector shows nothing useful while I'm drawing (content is greyed out).

Bart

bartzumbari,

Just curious: what benefit would you see in inspecting the tool's style while you're drawing? What information about it could you use while you've got the mouse button down?

If by "start drawing" you mean "select the tool," the inspector will change if you option-click on the tool to select it. You can set that to happen with a simple click instead in the preferences.

Last edited by john.gersh; 2011-10-03 at 12:40 PM..

John,

Ah! Wonderful--that's what I was after. Yes, I meant "select the tool".

Much thanks.
Bart