The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tickler? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
There is a mechanism. You put a start date on an action, and use the built-in Growl notification support. Configure Growl to leave the "now available" notifications on the screen instead of removing them after a few seconds. When the event becomes available, you get the notification.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	443
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1189  

The way I'm working a Tickler into my workflow is as follows:

I have a Tickler Single Actions List and a Tickler Context. Any item I want to Tickle I simply assign it to the Tickler SAL, the Tickler Context and set the start date for the day I want to be reminded.

The Tickler Context and SAL are both at the top of their respective lists; that way on the given day I can't help but notice the Tickled item, whether I'm in Project Mode or Context Mode. I also use the Growl notifications, just in case.

What this also gives me is a way to see the "landscape" of my Ticklers, by zeroing in on either the context or the SAL. Not essential but nice to have.

That's what works for me. It may not suit everyone, but I thought I'd share.

Thanks for the tip, whpalmer4. I will give that a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Remaining Contexts, Grouped by Start, Sorted by Due, Show Actions with status Remaining, Any Duration, Any Flag Status.
This is a great perspective, but I have one problem.
Sometimes I use a start date for an entire project, not just a single action, because I've already analyzed that project and estabilished every next actions, so I just want this project "pop up" at a specific day, just like in a tickler.

But this perspective doesn't show me actions for projects that have any start date set, and the only way I've found is to set the start date on the first action instead of the project itself. Not a so bad solution, but I would like to know if any other has the same problem and what solution has adopted.

Bye,
Francesco

Franchesco, one of the changes we're making in the next release of the Mac app is to enable Projects to appear in context mode. Previously, they wouldn't show up there.

You may want to try your perspective in our most recent Sneaky Peek build; I believe it does what you want. You can grab it from this page.

If your context still isn't showing you the items you need to see, let us know and we'll be happy to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Franchesco, one of the changes we're making in the next release of the Mac app is to enable Projects to appear in context mode.
Thank you for the good news :-)

Quote:
You may want to try your perspective in our most recent Sneaky Peek build; I believe it does what you want. You can grab it from this page.

If your context still isn't showing you the items you need to see, let us know and we'll be happy to help.
I tried the sneaky peeky but I still cannot see the pending project in the perspective. Should I report it as a bug?

Bye,
Francesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by magobaol View Post
I tried the sneaky peeky but I still cannot see the pending project in the perspective. Should I report it as a bug?
D'oh! That's what I get for posting on the basis of intended behavior instead of observed behavior. :-)

I've reproduced exactly the behavior you mention and filed it as a bug.

Quote:
D'oh! That's what I get for posting on the basis of intended behavior instead of observed behavior. :-)
LOL!

Don't worry, I will wait :-)

Bye,
Francesco

Quote:
Franchesco, one of the changes we're making in the next release of the Mac app is to enable Projects to appear in context mode. Previously, they wouldn't show up there.

did this get broken in the latest sneaky peek ? I choose " view in context mode" from the menu and nothing happens ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ext555 View Post
did this get broken in the latest sneaky peek ? I choose " view in context mode" from the menu and nothing happens ?
It looks like "View in context mode" works when you select a project in the outline pane, but selecting it in the sidebar just gets you a beep. We probably need to support selecting the project in either pane - written up as a bug.

If that doesn't match up with what you're seeing, email the support ninjas and we'll be happy to investigate.