The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

(Partial) OpenMeta support in OmniFocus – great or stinkin’? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Tags...yes...tags...yes...

T..a...g...s..is the best

I'd like to also add my voice to the throng clamoring for OpenMeta support. If you're unfamiliar with it, please check out the link in Bullfrog's post above. It's a very clear and thorough examination of what OpenMeta is, what it purports to do, and what the potential problems are.

And to the original poster, my condolences on your loss.

I'm just starting to explore Tagoman, which is an interface for adding, editing, and exploring openmeta tags. http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/31270/tagoman
Looks very promising as a way to group files associated with a project together: I can simply put "tag://projectname" somewhere in OF (say, in the comment field of the project) and it will turn clickable. A click on it will bring up a little window listing all the files I have previously tagged with "projectname" (and allow me to add more). Looks like mail messages and other things can be tagged, too.

Has anyone else looked at integrating Tagoman or other openmeta managers into your OmniFocus workflow?

EDIT: I see now that openmeta has been addressed before: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=11233

Last edited by Craig; 2010-03-15 at 09:38 AM..

merged new thread with existing.

I would love to assign a tag to a project and have the ability to bring up a finder window of reference materials and documents relating to that project with just one click.

This is just what Tagoman looks like it can do.
I've attached a bit of a screenshot.
By clicking on the "tag://apha10" that I've typed into the comment field of the project, Tagoman opens the window that shows three things I've previously attached the "apha10" tag to: a folder, a scrivener file, and an email message.

EDIT: I should add that that little window can also be drag-and-dropped-into, so it works well to build a collection of related files as well as to retrieve them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tagoman.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1321  

Turns out you can send a smart folder to the notes field. Would be interesting to see tighter integration.

How do people feel about having the ability to populate the notes field with spotlight search terms? This way a project for a wedding can have a note that when expanded shows a live list of all the files tagged "wedding". Sort of like integrating smart folders inside the project notes

Expanding on that idea...how about having that functionality in a separate "reference" button next to notes, allowing you the option of having notes and reference material separate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Daniel View Post
How do people feel about having the ability to populate the notes field with spotlight search terms? This way a project for a wedding can have a note that when expanded shows a live list of all the files tagged "wedding". Sort of like integrating smart folders inside the project notes

Expanding on that idea...how about having that functionality in a separate "reference" button next to notes, allowing you the option of having notes and reference material separate.
I feel that being able to have reference material related to an OF entry is key. I may have files, appointments, calendar entries, etc., and being able to view all those/have access to them would be very helpful.

I am finding that this can be currently achievable using TagoMan. If I have a tag that I use to organize information called "tagname", entering the tag as tag://[tagname] brings up a TagoMan window that has all the items that are aggregated under the tag.

I am curious whether there is a way to easily invoke external applications with specific parameters - I am thinking of opening a Finder smartfolder that has all my items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlad View Post
I am finding that this can be currently achievable using TagoMan. If I have a tag that I use to organize information called "tagname", entering the tag as tag://[tagname] brings up a TagoMan window that has all the items that are aggregated under the tag.

I am curious whether there is a way to easily invoke external applications with specific parameters - I am thinking of opening a Finder smartfolder that has all my items.
I don't know if you're trying to open the Finder smartfolder from TagoMan or from OF, but it maybe doesn't matter. I did some experimentation just now and while I was able to get a working file:// URL to the Saved Searches folder to work, I was not able to get one step past that to actually open the smart folder directly.

I also tried making a little Applescript file that invoked the saved search, and while I was able to get that to work, I wasn't able to get OmniFocus to actually execute the script from a link, only open its home in the Finder.

Code:
tell application "Finder"
	open file (POSIX file "/Users/oftest/Desktop/Test.savedSearch")
end tell
You could have a file URL for the Applescript file in OF which would at least take you to that search file, then double-click to get the window full of matches. Better than nothing?