The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Cover flow, good for showing off, bad for workflow Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Yeah, I've already sent a message to Omni (just getting that out of the way, I'm only here to share my pain :)

Cover flow for browsing stencils and graphs bites. It is not only bad for workflow, it is slow, clunky, and basically unusable. I say this as a career UI designer (18 years running).

I've got a couple of stencil sets that crash when I try to scroll past them. I don't want to edit them, they were downloaded from Graffletopia (thanks for the feature in the latest version omni!). I want to edit one further down the 'list' but unfortunately every time I scroll past the crashing one, well, OG crashes!

I've tried sorting by date, rebooting my iPad, nothing works. I can't even delete the stencil in question cause OG can't handle viewing it. It works fine in my flow diagrams, just crashes the stencil browser. I suppose I should be grateful that it's not the first stencil in the list!.

I don't mind glitzy UI presentation but ONLY when it augments, rather than replaces, cleaner and more functional UI. If Omni had simply provided a nice list of stencils (and graffles) then problems like this would not even occur.

Despite this UI foible I do love OG. I use it every day and it has basically changed the way I work. It pains me to see something so basically wrong though. Had Omni provided list views then the 'problem' of organising files on the iPad would be much easier to solve.