The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb is now free! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OmniWeb is now free! For the official press release, see the message to our omni-press mailing list.

For a little more context and background, see the Macworld article.

With the price barrier removed, we hope that more people are able to enjoy OmniWeb. Tell your friends!

I think it's great that OmniWeb is now, free but it might be too little too late. Safari 4 is wiping the floor with everyone else right now. The last thing that Firefox has going for it are the extensions, most of which I can live without to be honest.

OmniWeb still is based on an older version of WebCore and the Web Inspector is still the same old version (that didn't thrill me then). That's why I switched to WebKit nightlies for most of my browsing because of the new Web Inspector and the speed and support for newer CSS and HTML standards (all of which I now get in the Safari 4beta).

Unless Omni is going to move OmniWeb forward, this might be the final nail in its coffin, currently showing most people that Omni cannot develop the browser any further (due to lack of developer resources), so they just made it free to stop people complaining about the lack of updates. OmniWeb more than ever looks to me like it is going nowhere and will unfortunately rot away.

That would be a terrible waste of very decent product.

Which is why it should be open source.

I still can't switch to Safari 4 because of some great features in OW 5.8.

Argh!