The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync Problems Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I'm having trouble with sync between Mac and iPhone using MobileMe. The problem is that it doesn't happen in real time. So far, it takes at least 20 minutes or more to sync.

I want to be able to make changes on the computer, grab my iphone and go, knowing I have the right stuff on my iphone.

Can I drop the MobileMe sync and just sync between my iphone and mac?

Brian

20 minutes is an exceptionally long time, and may indicate that the Omnifocus database on your desktop could do with a bit of spring cleaning. Try using the "Rebuild database" option (under the File menu) and also possibly moving old data to an archive (also under file) and see if that speeds things up. Even if it doesn't, it won't harm things :)

To answer your second point, yes, you can use direct Mac-to-iPhone sync via Bonjour instead, and it will be a lot quicker. If you only have one Mac, this would actually be my preferred option. However, if you have more than one Mac (or for some reason more than one iPhone!), MobileMe or WebDAV is the best solution.

Hope that helps.

Two other gotchas with Bonjour syncing:

1. With Bonjour, you can only sync when your phone and Mac are on the same local network. If you remember to sync your phone before leaving, this isn't an issue. On the other hand, it's convenient to be able to sync the phone when I'm at the store and realize I forgot to sync my Errands.

2. Some Cisco wireless access points have a problem with "multicast DNS" that prevents all Bonjour communication. Because my employer has a Cisco wireless network, I'm not able to use Bonjour.

Brian, you probably want to take syncing questions over to the OF iPhone forum.

Cheers,

Curt

Curt

One other gotcha with Bonjour syncing:

the Mac has to be running OmniFocus at the time you want to sync

I think the original poster is a new OmniFocus user, however, and perhaps isn't suffering from an accumulation of old data. Might be suffering from an accumulation of new embedded attachments, however! Are you attaching documents or emails to your actions? Enough of that coupled with a slow iPhone data connection could lead to long sync times as well. On the settings page in the iPhone app, in the Database section near the bottom, what does it report for how many projects, actions, and zip files you have? And what does the Finder report for the size of your Documents/OmniFocus.ofocus file on your MobileMe volume?

Best solution, IMO, is to call up the support ninjas at 1-800-315-OMNI between 10-5 Pacific time and get their help with sorting out the issues.

By default, OmniFocus (both versions) are supposed to sync with the server 1 minute after any changes are made, or if the app sees that it's been more than an hour since the last sync when no changes have been made.

If you ever want to force a sync, though, you can press the button (it looks like two arrows forming a circle in both versions of the app).

The simplest solution here might be to just launch OmniFocus and tap the sync button on your phone as you're leaving. Stick the phone in your pocket and it'll sync while you're otherwise occupied, but you'll have the most up-to-date info by the time you need to use the app...