The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waiting Fors displaying incorrectly Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Here's my set-up:

Context 'Waiting For' has 'allows next actions' unchecked.
Perspective 'W/F' has settings: [group] Due, [sort] Due, [show] Remaining.

For some reason, WFs in sequential projects which are not NAs show up, and I don't want them to.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get around this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Show Remaining will show all remaining actions. A Waiting For action is a remaining action; it will just never be a Next or Available action as you've configured it. You can use Show Next or Show Available to Filter out these actions. Alternatively, you can mark the Waiting For context as not active and change the context filter (first setting in the View Bar in Context Mode) to Active or Available.

Curt

Thanks for your help - but this doesn't solve the problem does it? WF needs to be a not-active context, but when I view it I don't want to see those WFs which are not first in sequential projects.

I'm not sure that I'm parsing that string of "nots" correctly. Are you saying that you want to be able to few all your actions other than Waiting For actions? But then you also want to be able to view your Waiting For actions separately?

If that's the case, then WF should be a plain old context. You use selections in the sidebar to control which contexts are displayed. Select All, then cmd-click Waiting For and you get all but the WF actions. You can save that as a perspective to easily return to it.

Curt

No, not quite...

I want WFs to be greyed out (NOT NAs). When I look at them in project view then obviously I want to be able to see them all. When, however, I look at them in context view, I would like to have a perspective where I can see all the 'active' WFs (bit of a paradox, I know) - for example:

PROJ - ORDER PAPER DELIVERY (SEQUENTIAL)
1. Find address of delivery company.
2. Write them.
3. Waiting For: Reply from delivery company.

PROJ - ARRANGE MEETING (PARALLEL)
1. Waiting For: Person A
2. Waiting For: Person B

I want a perspective where I am shown the 2 WFs in the second, parallel project, but not the WF in the first, sequential one (at least, not until that action rises to the top of the list).

Do you see what I mean?

If you leave WF context as a plain-old context as I suggested you'll get exactly what you are asking for, except that the actions will not be grey. (To see just the "active" WF actions, just select the WF context in the sidebar.)

As you've described it you want WF actions treated as regular actions in all respects but formatting. You could manually format individual WF actions to be grey, but there's no way to have a context behave like a regular one but format its items differently.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
As you've described it you want WF actions treated as regular actions in all respects but formatting. You could manually format individual WF actions to be grey, but there's no way to have a context behave like a regular one but format its items differently.
I sent feedback a while ago asking that users be able to style actions according to context, which I think would be very useful. Right now there's no easy way in context mode to tell what context a particular action belongs to, and I would find that useful. So webbosoft (or others) if you agree, send feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Right now there's no easy way in context mode to tell what context a particular action belongs to, and I would find that useful.
Have you tried grouping by context?

I want to be able to group by due in context mode and look at all actions I have due tomorrow, and be able to easily tell in advance if I have to be in any unusual contexts. There's no easy way to do this now that I know of.