The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Using a Project to stand in for single task? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've used OF for a long time, and one thing I don't like is that I have to use a single action list for single tasks. I can't just create them where ever I wish (as you can in Things).

But I suddenly realized today (duh) that I can create a Project and give it a contex, just as I could a task. I can also flag the Project so it will show up in Today, and I can check it off as completed.

Seems like a breakthrough for me, except I'm sure there's some shortcoming or problem using this method, and I'd rather not find out after using this method for a month.

So, is this a viable solution? And what problems will I run into? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

p.s. In other words, it seems as if I can use a project without any tasks as a single task in itself, and I'm wondering what the differences is between doing that, and creating a single task in a single task list.

Last edited by jakeg; 2012-08-31 at 12:27 PM..

You can also use the Single Action List called Miscellaneous for those single actions that can be repeated as needed. But your idea will work just as well.

I'm not sure it would work if you ever planned on using the iOS apps, it's not as easy adding projects as it is actions.

It's not so difficult that it isn't practical, however, if the underlying idea provides some benefit to you. The main hitch is that OmniFocus insists on first saving the action before allowing you to use the Move button to convert it to a project (or to move it underneath another action) which is rather annoying.