The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Search returns Active Tasks only. Any ideas? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

as number of completed projects grows I find it useful to have the serach to show completed tasks as well. Same applies to Quick Entry - it should also offer completed projects as a destination for the new item.

The use case is the following:

I have some project that was completed couple of months ago. I get e-mail from friend asking me to help him with his term paper. I bring up Quick Entry window and type short description for task and try to assign it to project by typing its name.. Alas, OF only offers to create new projects.

Expected behaviour in the above scenario would be the completed project appears in the list and becomes "active" once I add new task to it.

Another use case:
I have set up a server a month ago and appropriate project contained some records with notes attached to it. These notes contain server login details, such as password, ip address, etc. The project is set as "completed". Now I want to quickly find these details with "Search" field. OF will show nothing, until I make some adjustments to filters. And in most cases I do not want to lose these filtering settings just to be able to retrieve some archived data.

I would be very glad if OF could offer (via App preferences option) choice for completed items to appear in search results and quick entry lookup feature.

The way search works now is consistent with other search behavior in OF. It is always limited to the current selection, whether that be from selecting items in the sidebar or filtered using the View Bar. This makes sense to me and provides a lot of control over what is too be searched, which becomes more useful as the database grows.

To preserve your current filter settings, have you tried opening a new OF window to do the search? That way your filter settings and scroll position in the original window remain untouched.

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-01-26 at 08:38 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
The way search works now is consistent with other search behavior in OF. It is always limited to the current selection, whether that be from selecting items in the sidebar or filtered using the View Bar. This makes sense to me and provides a lot of control over what is too be searched, which becomes more useful as the database grows.
well, anyway, it would not hurt to have the option to include completed projects in lookup results when you assign project in Quick Entry window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
To preserve your current filter settings, have you tried opening a new OF window to do the search? That way your filter settings and scroll position in the original window remain untouched.
thanks for the tip. With it in mind, I created perspective that shows all the projects and assigned a keyboard shortcut for it. Also, I enabled option to have this perspective to open in a new window.