The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Optimizing Database takes FOREVER Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The new database optimization thing seemed like a great idea at first. But then I realized that it optimizes EVERY time I sync.

Why is this taking place on my phone? I need to get at my projects. I could write stuff down in a proper hipster PDA before this thing started up!

In short, please fix this.

xoxo,
Michael Johnston
iPhone Alley

Last edited by MichaelJohnston; 2009-11-12 at 11:45 PM..

I was having this same problem and all of a sudden it when away.

The only possible explanation I can figure out is that I usually keep Omnifocus on my Mac open all the time. The really long optimization when away after keeping Omnifocus on the Mac closed for about a day (24 hrs).

- Don

My understanding is that the "optimizing database" step was there all along, but only recently has the time spent doing it been made visible. There is also a bug that causes it to be done inefficiently (most noticeably when you have a lot of transactions that have yet to be compacted in the history) for which Omni has an unreleased fix undergoing extensive testing. I don't know about you, but I would rather they take the time to make sure it is solid than ship something now that speeds the process up but causes database corruption in obscure cases!

You leave the iPhone or iPod running some app or another all the time when you aren't actively using the device. Cultivate a habit of having OmniFocus be that app and you won't spend as much time watching that progress bar before they ship the fix. Also, the quick entry button works during the optimization process if you are in a hurry to add something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
You leave the iPhone or iPod running some app or another all the time when you aren't actively using the device. Cultivate a habit of having OmniFocus be that app and you won't spend as much time watching that progress bar before they ship the fix. Also, the quick entry button works during the optimization process if you are in a hurry to add something.
Leave it going on my iPhone? That seriously doesn't work. It's an iPhone app. You're supposed to jump in, jump out. I'm not blaming you of course, just voicing my opinion.

Omni team, are you there?

I do so enjoy being told that what I do as regular practice is impossible :-)

If you want to talk to the Omni team in a timely manner, use Help->Send Feedback or call them at 1-800-315-OMNI as their presence on this forum is on an as-available basis. They are most certainly already aware of the problem, and I doubt anything you might say to them will cause them to release a fix before they think it is ready, but the support ninjas will work with you to make sure the existing version is running as smoothly as possible.

I just had the same problem, just when I really needed to get to my data it was completely inaccessible. I waited for over ten minutes before giving up.

This is such a major problem that I'm better off with pen and paper if it can't be solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1 View Post
I just had the same problem, just when I really needed to get to my data it was completely inaccessible. I waited for over ten minutes before giving up.
I think there's a bug where sometimes the optimizing step hangs. I find that if I switch back to the iPhone home screen, then relaunch OF, things are fine. YMMV of course.

Omni is aware of the performance issues with syncing and optimizing and has improvements in the pipeline, but the changes are significant and require a lot of testing before shipping them. (And then we'll have to wait for the App Store approval process.)

In the meantime, you might try contacting the support ninjas, omnifocus@omnigroup.com, to see if there is anything in your particular situation that would help.

Cheers,

Curt

Curt