The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spaces support Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I apologize if this has been put in before, but I didn't see it offhand or at all recently in this list. I have heard rumblings that this might be a 6.0 feature.

I would like to see support for spaces. Currently all browser windows have to be in the same space. But not the Find or Downloads window, which is annoying too.

I use spaces to separate my tasks, not my applications. Especially when web browsers are considered, those tasks can be highly different, such as web apps.

I would also like to note that Outliner does not suffer this problem. I know it's probably a different set of devs, but it may not be that big of a fix if another of your apps is behaving appropriately. On the other side of the coin, Word '08 (not yours I know, but humourous nonetheless), must have all it's windows in the same space too.

I can put different browser windows in different spaces using OW in Leopard. There are some bugs with it, but they're also consistent with problems other apps have as it appears to be an issue with Leopard.

What happens when you try to push a window to a different space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I can put different browser windows in different spaces using OW in Leopard. There are some bugs with it, but they're also consistent with problems other apps have as it appears to be an issue with Leopard.

What happens when you try to push a window to a different space?
It moves all the browser windows to that space.

It also acts a bit funky when you minimize a window in one space, and then maximize it later to a different space.

Strange, it doesn't do that here. How do you have it configured? I have 9 spaces, OW is assigned to Space 5. Then I push it to other spaces if I need a window there. I'm using the 5.7 sneaky peeks.

I don't have OW assigned to any space. And it doesn't make much sense to me to have to. The point for me is I want browser windows to be able to be in different spaces. That's not currently possible. If I drag one window into the space I want, they all go. That sucks.

I'm on the current 5.7 sneakypeak (as of today), v615.0.97558.

Edit: Assigning OW to a space had no affect on this behavior.

I just changed mine to Every Space and flipped through all the spaces. OW was available in all of them. I'm using the same version as well.

Yah, there's that setting too, but it is still not what I want. Each space for me is about separating tasks. Web browsers in particular perform or help perform many tasks.

For example: If I'm developing a project in one space, I would want to have my coding window, web pages with documentation and/or a view of project tickets, a terminal for testing, and maybe project appropriate emails. The common thread here is that all of these windows are specific to the task. Slashdot and similar type web browser windows aren't appropriate here and I don't want them there because they are distracting.

Every Space certainly does not separate the windows that way because they are all lumped in every space together. Not appropriate for the way I use a web browser.

I love OmniWeb and the way I've gotten used to doing things in it. But to get this type of functionality right now, I find myself using Safari for those task specific windows (which kills my available memory).

Ok, maybe I'm not understanding correctly then. Also, how you describe spaces is how I would like them to work as well but haven't gotten them to work that way. What do you have OW set to, or do you have it set at all?

I'm waiting for 10.5.2 to complain too much about Spaces. There are known issues and I'm waiting for Apple to say their fixed before I got to the developers.

I use Safari as well, but it seems to work the same as OW for me.

After playing around with spaces settings, it doesn't really matter whether I assign OW to a space or not, the behavior is the same. And agreed, this may be something that's fixed on Apple's end with 10.5.2. I mostly brought it up here because another Omni app (Outliner) doesn't suffer from this problem on my machine.

I haven't checked all my apps, but the following I've had problems with:
Safari
OmniWeb
InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat CS3
BBEdit 8.7.2
Interarchy 9